Author Topic: What have you printed lately?  (Read 554534 times)

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Re: What have you printed lately?
« Reply #3030 on: March 16, 2018, 06:36:23 PM »
Here is one that I was informed we had to print for tomorrow at the last minute.  Thank God, I had just retensioned yesterday evening so this morning I got to the shop at 4:45 and started degreasing, drying, coating, drying and then to printing screens.  We printed this 8 color, dissolved, degreased and recoated for another 8 color simulated Monday.  It's nothing spectacular but I was proud everything went so smooth. 
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3031 on: March 16, 2018, 07:37:21 PM »
Wowzers!  Doug, that's fantastic!  I like the look. Seems as if all seps worked together just perfect.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3032 on: March 16, 2018, 07:41:50 PM »
Thank you!  I was just lucky that this print went on natural color gildans so I didn't need a highlight white. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:44:43 PM by Doug S »

Offline Prince Art

« Reply #3033 on: March 17, 2018, 10:59:18 AM »
That's a cool design, and well executed. Unusual to have the "watercolor" look in the background, and crisp foreground. The dimensionality really comes through in the print.
Nice guys laugh last.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3034 on: March 17, 2018, 05:10:39 PM »
Thank you!

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3035 on: March 30, 2018, 03:27:26 PM »
One from today, art and seps by us.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3036 on: March 30, 2018, 04:11:30 PM »
Looks great dirk!

Nice colors there, how many screens what that?

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3037 on: March 30, 2018, 04:44:07 PM »
SaWEET Dirk!

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3038 on: March 30, 2018, 05:39:41 PM »
Looks great dirk!

Nice colors there, how many screens what that?

8 screens!
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #3039 on: April 13, 2018, 11:39:47 AM »
7 Screens, index color via Ultra Seps. Could have been 6 if I put more work into the sep, but this had to get out the door! Im happy!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3040 on: April 14, 2018, 02:22:14 PM »
Great job Aaron,

Nice call on the index approach.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3041 on: April 14, 2018, 07:10:17 PM »
Nice print!  I’m going to have to read up so I’ll even know what index printing is and when to use it.

Offline Atownsend

• !!!
« Reply #3042 on: April 16, 2018, 10:48:16 AM »
Nice print!  I’m going to have to read up so I’ll even know what index printing is and when to use it.
An index separation just separates out the pixels of each individual color. So each channel is 100%K, no halftones other than in the base. This image was very grainy to start with so I think if we went sim process some of the colors would have probably muddied up and been difficult to control. Index has always been pretty accurate for us, but you do usually need a decent # of screens to get there. Although a one color index can be interesting as well! Just don't ever resize them!

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3043 on: April 16, 2018, 11:51:50 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I get it now

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #3044 on: April 16, 2018, 02:57:50 PM »
To expand a touch on indexing

when you index a design:  You are - in essence - turning the image into a multi color bitmap.  Photoshop gets to decide where the colors you chose go and how they will combine.  You need to make adjustments either to you image or to your seps to clean it all up.

You can turn index seps into a sim-process like print, but you need to understand color fairly well to get away with it.

When a index design is started all the dots are square and are butt fit right next to each other.  NO overlapping will happen unless you choose and create any.  The dot size is directly related to your image resolution.  One dot = 1 pixel.

Its no a bad option when pressed for time and the colors are simple with very little real blending.

As for blends - photoshop has a bad habit of creating whats called "worm" patterns when it tries to blend 2 colors (or more) together.  So you need to make selections and add 6%-ish noise to it to make the blends cleaner...

I want to say John Lean had - has? - a really good tut up for starting off with index seps.  But the last time i looked at that was like 10+ years ago.  Someone else posted a really nice tut based around a nascar design that showed you how to break things down and clean up the image.  Anyone remember that?
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.