Author Topic: What have you printed lately?  (Read 554553 times)

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
Re: What have you printed lately?
« Reply #3210 on: August 09, 2019, 08:36:21 AM »
Serj, of course it's no surprise to see that kind of excellent printing come from you.  That 90 lpi looks like you used a separate screen for each of the colors.  Amazing!
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #3211 on: August 09, 2019, 09:13:45 AM »
1964GN

Looks very good.  Can't complain about that one. As the separator, you may see some things where it could be better, but at the end of the day, you still have the next and the next to get done, so we do what we can on it and let it go. Deadlines ya know. ;) . Looks great tho as is.

ORION, you always have great stuff to show.  Nice seps and printing.

Serj,  Well, you know. You're just awesome.  :)

Doug S,  Looks good!  One suggestion is to maybe lower your LPI one step and UP your mesh one step. This will help capture more of the soft fade in the dark sky as it fades to shirt.  Make a note, that dark colors gain more quickly. In this sep, I might have extended the fade out more, (sometimes even more than where it really ends) and open it up more than I do other colors (in the mid tone like at the 50% mark.
Outside of that, Looks excellent!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 09:19:22 AM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #3212 on: August 09, 2019, 12:06:21 PM »
A 6 color from yesterday...

Dale Hoyal

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3213 on: August 09, 2019, 12:13:27 PM »
Thanks Dan for the advice.  The black did come out darker than I'd like even though I had it last in the print order.  If I ever had more time from them ordering to when they needed them, I'd send the art to you for the seps. 
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline 1964GN

« Reply #3214 on: August 09, 2019, 04:39:59 PM »
1964GN

Looks very good.  Can't complain about that one. As the separator, you may see some things where it could be better, but at the end of the day, you still have the next and the next to get done, so we do what we can on it and let it go. Deadlines ya know. ;) . Looks great tho as is.

Our lead press op was on vacation so I had to print it... double whammy! Not bad for the sep guy I guess :)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3215 on: August 09, 2019, 06:00:16 PM »

The ole 6 color Sim on black!   Looks perfect!

What mesh, lpi and inks?

We are using a hodgepodge here and get varying results. They all come out sellable with no issues, but (I know) ;).
We use 230base, 305 on top,   Mostly Wilflex but modified.  We are using these double duro squeegees. Not sure what duro they are, but I'm told maybe 60 on one side, 70 on the other.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Orion

• !!!
« Reply #3216 on: August 10, 2019, 08:18:34 AM »

The ole 6 color Sim on black!   Looks perfect!

What mesh, lpi and inks?

We are using a hodgepodge here and get varying results. They all come out sellable with no issues, but (I know) ;).
We use 230base, 305 on top,   Mostly Wilflex but modified.  We are using these double duro squeegees. Not sure what duro they are, but I'm told maybe 60 on one side, 70 on the other.

Thanks Dan.

Same set-up we have done for years. 225s mesh underbase and 255 mesh for others. 65/90/65 blades. 55lpi.

Print order: Wilflex inks - Amazing white, super drake red, super royal blue, PMS 3115, super light gold, & process white.
Dale Hoyal

Offline Orion

• !!!
« Reply #3217 on: August 12, 2019, 01:16:57 PM »
One from this morning.

Dale Hoyal

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3218 on: August 12, 2019, 02:16:13 PM »
Two from this am.  Same scenario.  5 colors on color grounds.
230 on base, 305 on top.  We are seeing some of the results here for not having our screen room controlled. getting some banding/Moire here and there. This is more of a mesh stretching issue as well as exposure and stencil issue. We were able to squeak these thru. Customer was pleased, but we know could be a lot better, capturing the highlight dots.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 03:49:05 PM by Dottonedan »

Offline Orion

• !!!
« Reply #3219 on: August 12, 2019, 07:57:29 PM »
Looks good Dan!

From memory I believe 230 has one of the lowest percentage of open area of almost all mesh counts, so maybe that is causing moire issues. Have you considered switching to 225 S for underbase? Other than that investigate halftone angles that are more compatible with what you currently employ.
Dale Hoyal

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3220 on: August 13, 2019, 03:47:18 AM »
I agree nice job!  what I want to know is who in the world is still buying screenprinted poster, your good my man!!!! 8)
I got plenty of screen printed posters framed and hanging in my house.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3221 on: August 13, 2019, 10:18:33 AM »
Looks good Dan!

From memory I believe 230 has one of the lowest percentage of open area of almost all mesh counts, so maybe that is causing moire issues. Have you considered switching to 225 S for underbase? Other than that investigate halftone angles that are more compatible with what you currently employ.

The thing with this, is that I dropped the LPI to 50lpi to be sure to capture the highlight dots well.  We still didn't. Normally, we hav Eno issues with it at all. I'm not afraid of using 50lpi on sim process.

We use 230 on every sim process order. We do it very well and he normally captures everything.  Angle has never been an issue.  It's partly the static mesh supplier just kicking out mediocre work (usually banded or arched at the outer sides) and you don't see it unless you have very small percentages in the 10% and lower.  I see this a lot with static frames suppliers. When I was at M&R and traveling to various shops, I'd see the banding a lot coming from the static frames only.  Sure if can happen on the roller frames, but it seems to me (from what I've seen), people who stretch inside the Co seem to take more time to get it perfect. It takes a little more effort and I guess then more money, to make great static stretched frames.

Add to that,  we have an inconsistency problem in our screen humidity, temp, ventilation. We see it, we know it, Exposure times have been variable and coating and drying has been a variable hazard. Iv'e informed the owner and the Prod Mg has done the same, of the importance over and over now.  We need air, a return, Hygrometers, Dehumidifyer, and a separate coating and dry room. Funny that the owner thinks nothing about buying an 18 color Gauntlet lll in cash....but has yet to get this stuff. What I've found is that here recently, he's been wanting to put a hold on kicking out more cash and waiting to see more profit results.  Understandable, but at the same time, We need to produce good work.   Typical $ thing.  he will come around tho. In the mean time, this is what we deal with.

For example, you can see in the base, on the bottom design, we are capturing very small detail (specs of sand dust) getting kicked up, and cover over that...but there is banding in other areas.  There is also, a booger (something hard) in the center of the squeegee on the blue screen right in the middle of the top logo. Ugh.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 10:22:22 AM by Dottonedan »

Offline TheInkJedi

• Verified/Junior
  • Ink Dept. for Coed Sportswear
« Reply #3222 on: August 16, 2019, 07:29:44 AM »
9 color we just did. Getting the purple right was a pain.  8)
"Each problem that I solved became a rule, which served afterwards to solve other problems." ~ Rene Descartes

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3223 on: August 16, 2019, 03:34:54 PM »
Nice.  Very good watercolor paper texture in there. Good detail and control of color.

Offline SERJ

« Reply #3224 on: August 27, 2019, 09:42:39 AM »
Water based , 90 Lpi