Author Topic: What are some "must have" tools that you use in embroidery?  (Read 4224 times)

Offline shellyky

What are some "must have" tools that you use in embroidery?
« on: March 12, 2013, 11:56:09 AM »
What are some must have tools that you guys have discovered for embroidery work?  Thought it would be nice to share those items/tricks here...Like certain scissors, specific things...

***For me, this scissor is like gold in our shop, it will clip a thread loop or stray thread pretty much flush with the garment.  if you drop it however, its pretty much out of commission lol.  Also aids really well in applique cutting literally right on top of the outline stitch.
http://colmanandcompany.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=106007-CU&Store_Code=cac&search=micro&offset=&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=

***Yard Sticks, and those clear rotary cutter grids for alignment of jacket backs/making sure they're hooped straight, or designs over pockets to make sure the pocket is level in the hoop

***scotch tape to help keep the backing stay in place on the 'under hoop' when putting the garment on top of it

***All colors and black RETRACTABLE (so youre not chasing lids and can operate it one handed with the garment in the other hand) ultra fine tip, sharpies to touch up a bobbin showing or skipped stitch or underlay hanging out in some spots...

***Heat gun to clean up exposed puff foam hat designs

***Refillable Oil Pens...if you're still using the giant bottle that came with your machine, you're gonna have a bad time.

***I dont even know if this should be listed but I was using Melco digitizing software and would spend hours on a jacket back design because the autotrace was so ill-created....with Wilcom I literally spend 10 minutes to digitize anything.  It's been a huge time saver and worth the investment all day long....Watch for them to have sales, last year I got it about this time of year and it was nearly 75% off with trade in of your current software dongle.

***I've also bought small pencil baskets like you keep in your locker at school or something and i place one of those at each machine (we have 11 heads over 4 machines) which has a scissor, sharpies, screwdrivers for needles, needles, wrench, oil pen...so you're never constantly walking all over looking for an item.

......Anyone else have any other tricks/specific tools they use all the time?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 11:59:01 AM by shellyky »

Offline EmbellishAthletics

• Verified/Junior
Re: What are some "must have" tools that you use in embroidery?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 12:00:40 PM »
Our must haves are the Hoopmaster and the Mighty Hoops.  We use the Mighty Hoops for all of our jacket hooping especially for left/right chest names.  99% of our hooping is done on the Hoopmaster.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 12:08:31 PM »
Our must haves are the Hoopmaster and the Mighty Hoops.  We use the Mighty Hoops for all of our jacket hooping especially for left/right chest names.  99% of our hooping is done on the Hoopmaster.

Ditto

Offline shellyky

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 12:25:00 PM »
I received a Hoopmaster with one of our used machines and I just haven't found that it works for what we do...I don't do alot of "normal" things or "normal sizes", so it just sits there on a shelf collecting fuzz... and the magnetic hoops look amazing but they don't come in a size what works for me either :-/ most of my designs are 16" tall x 15" wide.

Offline shellyky

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 12:42:26 PM »
you guys made me curious LOL i just went out and checked on it and it appears I have the fold n bag attachment too!  I have about 350 shirts to fold and bag Friday--Ill give it a test here in a moment, this thing might be a life saver in a couple days!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 12:45:44 PM »
We wouldnt even embroider if we didnt have a hoop master and all the attachments.

We also bought and wasted 3 grand on a hoop press, that sits in a corner covered in dust.

Hoop Master
Quality Scissors and snips
Thread markers
Peggy Stitch eraser
Oil Pens
seam ripper/jump stitch trimmer
Light adhesive spray.

A must have is hooks to hang your hoops on near your hooping station, we use garage hooks, heavy duty and can hold over a dozen hoops on a hook.
"No man is an island"

Offline shellyky

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 01:30:21 PM »
Good call, maybe I can get a picture of my hoop wall on here shortly, that has also been a time saver.

Also, LINT ROLLERS.

Offline bj

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 05:32:05 PM »
I would add solvy as one of my top things to have around.  We do so much fleece up here at different thickness that it really helps to hold up the text or small detail.  I used to use it for mainly fleece but it works great for towels, bathrobes, knit hats, pique etc... 
I agree on scissors...sharp and the finest point possible.  exacto knife is also useful to have to pull out a design if needed. 
My small flat head and phillips screwdrivers=keep it nice and close for those times when I need to fix something or change a needle quickly.
Don't forget Coffee:)

*One thing I have too is a can of coke for those oil drips that happen occasionally on the material.  It works better than any detergent or stain remover I have used.  Takes the oil out of even the nicest of clothes without wrecking the fibers.