Author Topic: Need Halftone work done.  (Read 1536 times)

Offline JayzTeez

• !!!
  • Manual Screen Printer
Need Halftone work done.
« on: March 11, 2013, 08:37:59 AM »
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me out. I have a customer that has a pic in greyscale and one in color.  she wants me to do it with shading so its only one color print.  I have no idea how to do halftones or how to print them. i need to learn but am to busy to learn on this one.  so i need someone to do the artwork for me and print the image for me on a transparency.  if interested message me.  Thank you.
Jayz Teez Screen Printing
Houtzdale, PA.

Offline fhanyok

Re: Need Halftone work done.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 11:53:35 AM »
I do need to learn how to do this myself. The image is different percentages of black on black. I have no clue how to prepare this for separations to print on transparencies. We print ourselves, but usually only a few colors.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 02:29:16 PM »
If either of you are still needing this done, I can help you with that. Emial me the files/images to art@designsbydottone.com
I do not provide films, but I can convert to halftone for you (if you print films in house) but don't have a RIP.
I will be able to work on these this weekend.

There are a few other people on here that can handle your art and sep needs also. 

Member screen names
Seps:  Myseps  and IMAGESEPS  imageseps@gmail.com

Art:  Lemorris,  CommandZ,  JasonMoore TheMadArtist  Dlac

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline fhanyok

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 02:31:34 PM »
I appreciate the offer, but I need to learn how to do this myself. Any way you can tell me how or any links to walk me through this?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 03:04:54 PM »
I appreciate the offer, but I need to learn how to do this myself. Any way you can tell me how or any links to walk me through this?

That question would be best posted and answered in the appropriate section in Computers, Raster and Vector Manipulation  Programs and How to Do Stuff in Them. http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/board,14.0.html
There, you can tell folks what you are using, and then suggestions would be more appropriate.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline fhanyok

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 03:11:46 PM »
Thank you Frog, I will post it there. Just thought I would piggyback on the previous post since he sounded like he was working on something similar.
Sorry for the trouble!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 04:18:10 PM »
If you're into searching, I posted these instructions a year or two ago. Try searching bitmap halftones on this site. Essentially, Take the color image, make a copy (leave the original alone, always) convert to grayscale, then to Bitmap. In the Bitmap dialog box, choose Halftone from the drop down menu, then, in the next dialog box, set your line count, angle (I like 22.5°) and dot shape (round or elliptical, I prefer elliptical) and change the Output Resolution to 1200 ppi (this makes for much cleaner individual dots). Tag, you're it!

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline fhanyok

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 05:05:38 PM »
With it being multiple layers of different percentages of black on top of each other (see image attached), would you still do it this way?

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 11:29:53 AM »
this is why I make a duplicate file; shut off or delete the background layers (that is, the shirt color) and "Merge Visible Layers" so it's all on one layer, then do the Grayscale to Bitmap technique I roughed out. If you don't like, make another duplicate from your original, make some adjustments, and try it again... You also want to keep in mind that just because it says 60%, that your film, and screen, may not really reproduce 60%, and when you go to print, you'll experience dot gain, which will take your 60% dot way up, to almost solid, depending on how much control you have on press. It sounds simple enough to start, but then it gets complicated, and you have to test, to find out what's going on in reality in your shop, on your press.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't