Author Topic: 2 color on jackets  (Read 1829 times)

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
2 color on jackets
« on: March 19, 2013, 03:17:00 PM »
I hate jackets, I am not running these with a hold down clamp either.  Ain't gonna happen.

I have a safety green jacket with a black and Coke red imprint.  The coke red, is actually the coke logo and a small part of the design.  The black is the rest of the sponsor logos and text.

How should I run these?  can I print the red and flash it?  Should I print the black first and let it pick up a little on the back of the red screen?

I will probably be using nylobond just to make sure ( i've had adhesion problems in the past with these).

Any tips?

Thanks!

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: 2 color on jackets
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 03:34:58 PM »
Some people tie or otherwise bind the sleeves so they draw garment taught. Either way print the small red logo. Dry carefully with an ind hair dryer on low and yes use a catalyst. Then print black

Offline Orion

• !!!
  • Ain't no shortcuts in screen printing.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 03:40:22 PM »
I have never printed without the hold down, but if it works for you.... I would start by bringing your substrate up to flash temp before the first impression and flashing after every color, even the last color to avoid smearing the print while getting it situated on the dryer belt. Catalyst is a must for adhesion unless you are using some sort of one-step nylon ink.
Dale Hoyal

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 03:42:35 PM »
Forget wet on wet, it will work for the first print but every one after will be different unless you plan on wiping the pick up screen every time. Another thing I always fear even with a hold down is a bad stroke, you never want to have to stroke twice incase the jacket lifted a bit after the first stroke.
"No man is an island"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 03:51:25 PM »
Cool, I've been printing a few wet on wet jackets recently, and they have been working fine, but they have been on white, so I dont have to worry about awesome coverage.

I think I will do what tony says, I like that idea.  Luckily the colors don't touch.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 03:59:37 PM »
I assume you are talking about jackets with liners?

"No man is an island"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 04:00:01 PM »
nope, no liner thankfully.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 04:02:01 PM »
h never mond use tac you will be fine.
"No man is an island"

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 04:04:09 PM »
yeah, I sort of forgot that fact.  I was worried more about ink buildup.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2013, 06:53:58 PM »
I don't know if it's just the inks I use with catalyst, but after-flash tack is a pain every time for me.

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 07:24:53 PM »
I don't know if it's just the inks I use with catalyst, but after-flash tack is a pain every time for me.

Which is why I don't use nylobond catalyst or any other, unless the jacket is water proofed. That after flash and oven tack is nasty. I have a nylon jacket I printed six years ago worn many many times and washed and the print is still solid with no catalyst.
"No man is an island"

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 10:55:15 AM »
Yeah, I'm with you, if I can get away with an athletic ink and that's it, it's great.  Sounds like MK's probably stuck with it, with "adhesion problems in the past."

At least if you don't need a hold-down, you're not just standing there fanning it, you have however many stations to cool down... 

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 01:12:18 PM »
Most nylon jackets have some waterproofing on them, the way I use to tell how much is to get a cup and put the jacket over it and make a dip and pour water in it and see how long it took for the water to pass thru.  Oh preheat those jackets....

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 02:16:24 PM »
Most nylon jackets have some waterproofing on them, the way I use to tell how much is to get a cup and put the jacket over it and make a dip and pour water in it and see how long it took for the water to pass thru.  Oh preheat those jackets....

Darryl

Oops forgot to mention that, we always preflash the nylon, it helps cook off some of the water repellant it might have.

"No man is an island"

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 09:59:29 PM »
I'm the lucky one who gets to print hundreds of these at a time every few months. Have an order for 500 on the horizon soon, white on black jackets front and back.

It usually takes me 2-3 days to get em all done. I end up walking close to 2 miles a day as I have to catch each jacket as it falls off the belt to avoid sticking.

Load a jacket, spin under the flash, walk over and catch the last jacket off the belt, walk back spin back and print, put on belt and repeat.

I had some 2 colors a few months ago. pre flash, first color, flash, second color, dry.

I always use catalyst, a jacket hold down and 270 mesh
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services