Author Topic: Printer Question  (Read 6772 times)

Online screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Printer Question
« on: June 26, 2011, 10:53:42 PM »
I've had the HP9800 wide format for a while now.  However it's always had some quirks.  Like maybe the first film to print might be missing the top 1/8 inch of print the first time through.  And it's always had something to cause me some grief.

Now I'm going to start doing some Ink Jet transfers and the first one was crappy (on the paper) and not very colored. 

Long story short, thinking of getting something else, but looking for an Inkjet that does Pigment Ink (for WB film), is a wide format, can do both films and transfers, and is NOT HP.

I've been doing some looking at the Epson 1400, but doggone it, it's a Dye based printer.  Am I overdoing the desire for Pigment printer?  Is anyone successfully doing Transfers (and films) with a Dye based printer?

Suggestions?

TIA
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:36:14 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Pinter Question
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 11:35:46 PM »
No argument with the quirks, but for me, transfers have been great, Here are two crappy pics of ones I did recently

For you, if you like the self contained heads, look at Canon, otherwise, one of the Epsons. I just don't know which are pigment and which are dye.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Printer Question
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 11:41:19 PM »
Mine has not been used for a couple of months, but did a clean and the sample print color looked pretty good, but as soon as I printed the transfer, the colors were muted and had lines. 

Output from Corel as Composite.

I'm using the printer, same paper as you and (for now) factory ink.  Do you make any setting adjustments for the transfers?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:48:56 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 12:48:12 AM »
Print quality-best

Paper type - HP Iron-on transfer

As the inks dry, they look very muted on this paper until transferred. Blacks look downright gray!

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 07:50:39 AM »
Look into Epson 1100. It is a dye based printer and it prints up to 13x19"

Online screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 08:12:49 PM »
So I don't necessarily need to target a Pigment Ink printer?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 08:27:52 PM »
Ya know Wayne, besides the faded color look which I told you is normal on transfers, I don't output raster images through my 9800 from CorelDRAW. I generally output from Photoshop. I did have some digital hiccups when I first tried importing a photo into Draw and added text, and now just generally stick with what worked, even if I modify it in CorelDRAW I export as a psd or jpg, and open in PS to run the transfers.

Online screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 10:37:09 PM »
Ya know Wayne, besides the faded color look which I told you is normal on transfers, I don't output raster images through my 9800 from CorelDRAW. I generally output from Photoshop. I did have some digital hiccups when I first tried importing a photo into Draw and added text, and now just generally stick with what worked, even if I modify it in CorelDRAW I export as a psd or jpg, and open in PS to run the transfers.

Only thing was it was not a raster image.  It was vector drawn in Corel (well traced anyway).

But I'm really glad you posted that.  I exported the image from Corel as .psd, opened in PS and printed and the difference is like night and day.  The picture is a face and printing direct from Corel it was white and pink stripped lines.  Printing from PS, the entire face is flesh colored and no lines. 

Maybe I won't toss the old gal out just yet.  That or she heard the rumors, lol.

But I've been looking at that low-end Epson 1100(under $140) and it sure looks tempting to try the Epson family.  Never had an Epson yet.

One other question for you Epson users.  Does Epson have a way to see your ink volume left?  My cheap Brother inkjet does, but unless I didn't install something, the HP does not.  Andy, are you able to see the ink volume left?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 10:53:48 PM by screenxpress »

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 12:02:25 AM »
Yep, Ink Volume on a printed Diagnostics Page.
in fact, for me it's a great feature that almost justifies the extra expense of factory carts (the only way it works, no reset tools available), especially on long transfer runs.
Of course, I still have a bag full from Nathan  ;D

Online screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 12:29:31 AM »
Finally found it.  It's under the Preferences/Print Configuration page.

I got lots of ink left, lol.

However, if and when I do switch printers, I will no longer get one what has a multi-color cartridge.  I do like the Epson (and Brother) with individual cartridges so you're not throwing away ink when just one goes empty.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 12:32:39 AM by screenxpress »

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 01:26:13 AM »
HP9800
To print a diagnostics page

Press and hold the Power button, press the Resume button four times, and then release the Power button.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 06:05:14 AM »
My only beef with an Epson is (was) the head clogging issues some have, and with the 2200 I paid Fresener for to use with his RIP, a burned up head within the course of just over a year. On the other hand, at $150, the 1100 is $130 cheaper than the repair I paid on the head of the 2200, so once you start having problems, it'd be cheaper to toss and get a new one. In the event that my HP9800 bites the big one I'll probably go that route, too.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 07:34:18 AM »
My only beef with an Epson is (was) the head clogging issues some have, and with the 2200 I paid Fresener for to use with his RIP, a burned up head within the course of just over a year. On the other hand, at $150, the 1100 is $130 cheaper than the repair I paid on the head of the 2200, so once you start having problems, it'd be cheaper to toss and get a new one. In the event that my HP9800 bites the big one I'll probably go that route, too.

1100 is around $120 in Staples.
In my old post I made mistake, 1100 is a Pigment based printer.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 07:51:07 AM »
i thought it was, I am not sure Epson is even making many more dye based printers since the pigment ink is more costly.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 08:26:52 AM »
i thought it was, I am not sure Epson is even making many more dye based printers since the pigment ink is more costly.
I think you are right.
I have bought a dye ink CIS and I'm using it on my 1100, no issues so far. I was told that you can go back and forth, as long as you clear out the lines.