Author Topic: If you had to do it over.. startup re-do  (Read 9043 times)

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
If you had to do it over.. startup re-do
« on: June 27, 2011, 11:43:37 AM »
If you had to start over from the ground up what would you do or not do differently..

I ask as I just secured some capital and it's time to start buying equipment and supplies for my garage based startup.

I have a line on the big 4 pieces (press, dryer, flash and expose) for around 6k. I've had some rollers for years and a friendly supplier is giving me a hookup on supplies. I'll be building a washout and any racks and assorted stuff.

discuss..
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: If you had to do it over.. startup re-do
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 12:14:20 PM »
Boy, where to start.

Since I bought the business as is, I am lucky.  I would do it this way again, but while I was working here before I owned it, I would have straightened more of the bugs out and invested a little more in testing equipment.  I would have also had the shop in perfectly clean working order.  I am finding that I am spending too much time organizing and reworking the shop.  Who knows if that will ever end.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 01:30:47 PM »
Off the top of my head, for equip my top two are probably:

Bigger dryer from the get-go. 

Backlit washout booth.

If I was in yer shoes and had the trade skills already I would heavily consider going big up front though.  The way I built up our shop, piece by piece, just scrapping along was cool and suited me well for those years (I always said "hey, I'm in this for less than most people drop on a used car and used cars don't make money for you") but there was a point where I should've flipped the switch on a lot of gear all at once along with enough working capital to fund the co. through the growing pains and just rolled out with it.   It's riskier to do this and I was Mr. Bootstrap for a long, long time but, if you know the work is there, you just wind up saving a lot of $ and hassle in the long run by getting most everything you need now

Once I bit my lip and signed off on the loan finally I realized the synergy that happens with everything.  You put all that risky money out there but, if you do it right, it just brings solid, dependable revenue back around in quick time.  The key is to make sure you have the production tools to keep up when this happens.  I'm feeling that mistake right now.  :o

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:42:48 PM »
wish we had a management program from day 1. Before any equipment. . .most important tool that gets overlooked in my opinion. how else do you know what to charge?. . .exactly. . .
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 02:33:05 PM »
I would agree with Zoo about bigger dryer. I have Atlas 824 (8', with 24" belt) which suites my basement set-up and I would not have room for anything bigger. But now I wish that I have something more than a 4' heat chamber.
Also, do not cheap out in inks and supplies. Get the good and proven stuff.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 02:38:29 PM »
that is a good one homer, they didn't exist when we started.

I agree with ZOO about the dryer.  I will be adding 4' of heat in the next year or so.  That is what's nice about modular stuff, add on or subtract as you need it.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 02:42:08 PM »
my story is a little different, it was a business decision from day one. Can't think of anything I would do different off the top of my head other than have a better communications with my partner.

You know all the equipment and the processes better then most. So the printing part will be easy. Make sure you have good planning and have marketing money. Those two will make you or break you.
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Nation03

• Gonzo Member
  • The Dude abides.
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 03:17:46 PM »
If I could go back, I probably would of waited until I was a little older. I leased my equipment when I was 19, for my basement setup. I figured since I was a decent enough printer, I could make it work... not realizing that I don't know anything about getting clients, running a business, and knowing what to charge. So that is what I get for being an impulsive teenager. I had a consistent pay check at my other printing job, so it's not like I sunk all my money into the equipment, but it was definitely a learning experience. In the last 6 months or so I've really been reading up on business, marketing, etc and after I change the name of my business I'm going to come up with a monthly budget for some consistent advertising online. Dealing with people has seem to become less of a fear as I get older. And I'm finding that people are starting to take me a little more seriously, so that helps also.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 03:47:01 PM »
Thanks guys.

I'm looking at a used Lawson kit that comes with the 3610 dryer (36" belt 6' heat) that is more than enough for the garage. I have to disconnect a panel or upgrade wiring to handle it's 58 amp draw.

As soon as I can afford it, shopworx will be used, till then it's quickbooks with it's printing add-on module.

I'll be using roller frames, panels, top grade inks and chemicals and even getting a 4880 printer.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 05:17:10 PM by jsheridan »

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 05:12:04 PM »
Thanks guys.

I'm looking at a used Lawson kit that comes with the 3610 dryer (36" belt 8' heat) that is more than enough for the garage. I have to disconnect a panel or upgrade wiring to handle it's 58 amp draw.

As soon as I can afford it, shopworx will be used, till then it's quickbooks with it's printing add-on module.

I'll be using roller frames, panels, top grade inks and chemicals and even getting a 4880 printer.

You want our 4800?  Got to get a wider one sometime in the next 3 months or sooner.  I'll cut you a deal mang. 

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 05:44:55 PM »

You want our 4800?  Got to get a wider one sometime in the next 3 months or sooner.  I'll cut you a deal mang.

Come with RIP? I'll take dibs on it if my 4880 deal doesn't work out. 

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 08:53:43 PM »
wish we had a management program from day 1. Before any equipment. . .most important tool that gets overlooked in my opinion. how else do you know what to charge?. . .exactly. . .
So what are you using for management?
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 09:26:29 PM »
T-Quoter for shirts and a similar program just for signage. Works the best for us.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 09:54:35 PM »

Come with RIP? I'll take dibs on it if my 4880 deal doesn't work out.

Sure I'll throw the accurip in and it's loaded with the filmdirect system.  New head installed early this year to boot! 

Got a line on a 44" wide epson?

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 09:48:14 AM »
Hey Zoo -I have a hookup on a 60" HP -1k if you want it. . .I was thinking about it, but we have too many printers as it is. I want a 24"