Author Topic: Washing out screens just got easier.  (Read 5151 times)

Offline mjrprint

Washing out screens just got easier.
« on: June 29, 2011, 11:48:57 AM »
Get a dip tank, fill it with water, attach a fountain motor or something similar to agitate the water. Put your screens in there and let them marinate for a min or two. Wash out with ease.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Washing out screens just got easier.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 11:59:02 AM »
Especially in the days of solvent cleaners, I suggested a little degreaser like simple green in there as well.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 12:38:18 PM »
I think he's talking about post-exposure Frog, though you might be as well?
Solvent cleaners, what's that?

I'm in the process of pimping out my screen room, separate washout booth,
post-exposure dip tank, the works.

Here's a question though, if you leave a screen in the tank for too long (I'm apt
to walk away from things) will it ruin your stencil eventually?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 12:45:24 PM »
Okay, washing out an exposed screen, I can dig that, in that case, I will share that I have always wet the screen, let sit a minute, and then actually rub gently with my hand and/or fingertips until I can feel the edges start to appear (or actually disappear)

A woman I used to work with called this process "creaming" but I think that she was just trying to sound suggestive and was flirting.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 12:59:33 PM »
I've left screens in my tank overnight (being the bonehead I am) and had them wash out fine. Andy might chime in on the final part of my comment here, but I think the key is proper exposure.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 01:17:30 PM »
...I use a diptank for the same process. I dont even use any sort of agitation, it still works just fine. I use a diazo-type emulsion, and have left the screen in there overnight and it developed with no ill effects. I have heard that if you soak a photopolymer emulsion for too long, the coating can potentially delaminate from the mesh, but I have no personal experience with that.
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline jvieira

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 07:36:22 AM »
great tip! we're trying this, will likely save us a lot of water (and the environment). Oh, and also time ;)

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 08:07:48 AM »
I've left screens in my tank overnight (being the bonehead I am) and had them wash out fine. Andy might chime in on the final part of my comment here, but I think the key is proper exposure.

we took a 2 week vacation this past winter, and I forgot a few frames in post-exposure soak tank...  they rinsed out just fine as well...

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 10:59:32 AM »
Wow,  two weeks is nuts.  Our thicker coated stencils would delaminate for sure if left too long.  The thinner coat ones might not.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 11:22:02 AM »
2 were SP1400, about 30% EOM on a 160S

the most shocking one tho was a 20% or so EOM on a 225S with 50lpi halftones... the 90% open and above were gone, but everything else stayed.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 01:13:33 PM »
I just re-read this old thread and was reminded how I was confused by the term "washing out" thinking reclaim. (hence the tip of degreaser when petroleum based cleaners got in the way of emulsion remover effectiveness)

A very vague term indeed as it could be understood as developing (rinsing out unexposed emulsion), cleaning out ink, or like I originally understood, reclaiming the emulsion.