Author Topic: Epson 7880 head clogged..........  (Read 2514 times)

Offline Ron Pierson

Epson 7880 head clogged..........
« on: June 30, 2011, 01:54:03 PM »
...........Beyond repair. (I hope this is the right forum).

I have been using the all black system for AccuRIP and allblackbulkink.com for all colors (good price and good service). Printer is 2 years old-always on-always at "self cleaning" mode. This has been a very cool system - until now. I have a newer 4880 with the same system - no issues (yet).

I have tried all the tricks to clean the head - simple green, power cleaning, SUPER power cleaning - all of it. I finally called Epson and they are sending a tech. I think this repair will cost around $1000.00 (just a guess). I will post the results of this visit to help anyone with similar issues. this may prevent expensive repair bills in the future for anyone with this system. I think we need a stronger maintenance program in place and periodic proper cleaning to prevent this issue for all of us Epson users in the future.

I'll keep all of us posted to the results -they will be here July 5, 2011

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Epson 7880 head clogged..........
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 02:02:58 PM »
...........Beyond repair. (I hope this is the right forum).

I have been using the all black system for AccuRIP and allblackbulkink.com for all colors (good price and good service). Printer is 2 years old-always on-always at "self cleaning" mode. This has been a very cool system - until now. I have a newer 4880 with the same system - no issues (yet).

I have tried all the tricks to clean the head - simple green, power cleaning, SUPER power cleaning - all of it. I finally called Epson and they are sending a tech. I think this repair will cost around $1000.00 (just a guess). I will post the results of this visit to help anyone with similar issues. this may prevent expensive repair bills in the future for anyone with this system. I think we need a stronger maintenance program in place and periodic proper cleaning to prevent this issue for all of us Epson users in the future.

I'll keep all of us posted to the results -they will be here July 5, 2011

I had a similar problem with a 3000. Windex saved the day. Not sure if it would work for your printer (dye vs pigment), but it might be worth a try . . . Soak a paper towel with windex and park the head on top of it. Repeat several times. Let it sit for a while so it would soften the clogged ink. Somebody said it was the ammonia in the Windex that does the trick.

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 02:37:02 PM »
or you can try the head cleaning system from www.squaredot.com  I had good luck with that one.  I did have to replace a head after about 5 years of service, they don't last forever.

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 04:17:21 PM »
Double check that it's parking the heads in the right position, fully capped,
and that the pump is working. If either of those are wrong no amount of head
cleanings will work. If they are correct:

Disconnect your bulk system and hook up a syringe to the line(s) of the clogged head.
Gently, very gently, squeeze some fluid (ink, water, windex, doesn't matter) into the
line. Do not push hard.

Epson's get testy when it gets warm and dry out.

Offline squeezee

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 05:47:44 PM »
Dodgy ink!
Take the side cover off to expose the capping station.
Put a clamp on the tube leading away from the pump.
Fill the capping station until it has a meniscus of liquid (on the 7880 this means tipping the printer).
Push the head back and allow to soak overnight.
Do a clean.
imagesetters for screenprinting  A Troll-free zone :-)