Author Topic: Separation Studio question  (Read 2730 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Separation Studio question
« on: May 17, 2013, 04:15:48 AM »
So I have to admit I do use Separation Studio once in a while. I do like it and most of the time it`s good enough for our clients needs. But then once in a while we get an image that I want to separate in Separation Studio with parts of it a solid colored text. But what the software does is it separates this text into the colors of those 9 spot channels available in Sep Studio. So fairly often you find yourself in the situation that a text that looks all crisp on your monitor is separated into 4-5 colors instead of one proper spot color. I  found the results on the shirt rather poor when seped that way. Are their any work arounds to avoid this?

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
Re: Separation Studio question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 06:35:05 AM »
I'll try to mention this to Shelly to comment, all of our seps are done in this program. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 08:27:18 AM »
I'm guessing you've done what Facini and Great Dane recommends already - we've had success with their recommended method -- place the sep studio file into Illy/CD and add your text in illy/CD for crisp/vector text.  Make sure the text is colored with the swatch color that you want it (the swatches that the other colors are should automatically be imported into illy/CD when the sep studio file is placed into illy) from the list of swatches so it prints out on the right film.

Am  I misunderstanding your question?

Offline shellyky

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 08:37:23 AM »
Yeah im not sure why it's seperating your text into that many screens if it is anywhere near 75-100% of ONE of the 9 colors you're usually good....if it is orange for example, then i'll just change the text to green or something that it will pick up with one screen and merge it into the appropriate layer....generally i use levels on each screen before i print to take out the small percentages that may be artifacted on other screens.... 

Offline starchild

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 10:53:47 AM »
You can  'Apply' the four channels to an empty channel or a new channel assigned with it's own color then saturate to simulate a spot color. Then delete the info in the four channels that made up the text.
The thing is you only have the pixels that Separation Studio pulled to work with. You can remove pixels but cannot add the missing %dots- you can only saturate them and move from one channel to the another. The trick is to increase the image's level in your art program before opening in Sep Studio so that you maintain more dot percentages. Larger rather than smaller computer memory and processing is also a significant help in retaining dot percentages.