Author Topic: Basic Fire truck line art beginnings.  (Read 8927 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Basic Fire truck line art beginnings.
« on: May 20, 2013, 08:50:15 PM »
Basic Fire truck line art beginnings. Love me some Fire Department jobs.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
Re: Basic Fire truck line art beginnings.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 09:13:04 PM »

Nice and clean!
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 09:16:59 PM »
Clean but why is the rear wheel towed out in the back. Sorry but I am a car guy and notice that stuff..... ;)
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 09:22:09 PM »
Clean but why is the rear wheel towed out in the back. Sorry but I am a car guy and notice that stuff..... ;)

NOt sure what you mean by "towed out". Might just be the way the line art looks without shading. Shading gives more understanding to what's going on.  It's pretty accurate fer as I can tell.

Now you got me looking at it again.  ???    and is why we have this place to post up works in progress for feedback like this. So speak up.  :D

Those circle lines are for guidance per say to the shape of the tire. Not to be identifying a circle tire, but more so for shading the lines follow into the rounded form. That far right side (crescent moon shape) for example is where it will show more of the (top of the tire) while the lines help me to follow the fold over of the tire for shadowing.

Follow my folds?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:31:17 PM by Dottonedan »
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 11:25:11 PM »
I think that he is mostly referring to the rim giving the wheel the look of being turned slightly to the right, rather than a dead-on side view
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 11:27:20 PM »
I think that he is mostly referring to the rim giving the wheel the look of being turned slightly to the right, rather than a dead-on side view

Yes you got it. The rim looks to far off center of the axle.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 11:48:05 PM »
Could be.  I only draw whats in front of me. I might have miss placed or miss something on something.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 12:02:28 AM »
On a dead on side view you should not see the tread of the tire.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 12:10:26 AM »
I think that it's all about how close (or far) you perceive you are to the truck. 

The farther out a person is looking at a flat object, everything should appear nearly equal as one dimensional and both wheels would look concentric.

As you get closer to an object distortion will naturally occur. 

If I was standing say within 15 foot of that truck, surely I would not see the right inner part of the rear wheel, nor the left inner part of the front wheel.  But then I would expect other differences.  Much like a road going off in the distance where things gets smaller and smaller. 

At the end of the day, what's the custy want?

BTW Dan, it looks nice, regardless of the wheels.  More patience than I have.

Now if LeMorris was drawing this, I'd say anything goes on wheel placement.  :D
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 08:14:10 AM »

4 wheel steering :)

That is the newest fire truck gizmo.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 08:27:43 AM »
some buses have it to make it around tight corners...might not be a bad idea for fire trucks.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 09:24:40 AM »
I forgot to mention, this customer sent in the photo with his masking on it to take out the background. You can sort of see a chop into the top of the tire as it reaches the right side bottom.
When you adjust the photo you can see more clearly that that top of tire should wrap around the whole right side more to complete the circle. Looks chopped off in the photo.

But I would say that yea, it is a straight on photo but not the tire. it doe show more of a degree being pitched out. As if the photographer took the back shot from standing closer to the right front (just off center) right and then took the shot of the front of the truck from more of a straight on view.  I sometimes take two separate shots to get better detail if I can't get back far enough to get the whole truck into view at one time. So that might explain it.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 10:44:10 AM »
what you are seeing is shot taken with wide angle lense. At an extreme case it's called a fish-eye, in this shot the distortion is just enough to show the sided of both front and back wheels.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 11:21:51 AM »
The second elipse you're using to show the back of the tire is a tad large, that's all. THe perspective looks good, just reduce the size of the back of the tire so it doesn't look bulgey.
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 11:41:58 AM »
Wow beat the guy up why don't you guys lol.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube