Author Topic: Tape for protecting screen  (Read 5397 times)

Offline BorisB

Tape for protecting screen
« on: July 04, 2011, 02:01:20 AM »
Which Tape are you using?

Blue tape from R Tape?
Anything from Newman? They have new product, which is transparent and 3" wide. Price per m is surprisingly low for Newman product.
Has anyone tested it?

I remember thread, where tape was discussed on M&R Forum. I think most important was type of adhesive which tape was coated with.

Boris

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Tape for protecting screen
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 10:51:46 AM »
I went to a brown packing like tape which does a very good job and way cheaper than the blue R Tape  the site is www.itape.com just incase you want to check it out.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 11:11:01 AM »
I am not very familiar with the fancy, or more expensive specialized tapes, but have always looked for tapes with Rubber rather than Acrylic based adhesive.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Clark

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 11:49:57 AM »
I use Newman Yellow tape on my rollers, then tape the inside of the screen with PMI split tape, and tape of reg marks, etc with standard 3M 2" painters tape. 

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 12:15:19 PM »
I am not very familiar with the fancy, or more expensive specialized tapes, but have always looked for tapes with Rubber rather than Acrylic based adhesive.

I have heard that before and have thus always ordered tape with rubber based adhesive. We recently ordered about 5 different tapes form a shipping co and picked the one we liked. At $2.20 per 110 yard roll it is about the third of the cost we were paying before and it works just as well.

Few months back we replaced our scoop coater with a wider one and there is only about 1.5" gap that needs to be covered. So 2" tape works out perfect and is considerably cheper than the 3" we used to use ($7.50).

pierre

Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 12:21:57 PM »
So, which tape did you go with?

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 12:31:26 PM »
I use 3M packing tape. Comes off clean and doesn't gum up. I used a cheap version before and had to throw away the mesh it gummed up so bad during reclaim. Others have ferreted out great dollar store tape but dang if I can find it.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 12:35:01 PM »
So, which tape did you go with?

I'll have to dig up the company name and the tape specs . . . I could also send you a sample so you try it out and let everybody know.

I should say that we use a dip tank and the screen goes in with the tape still on it. The solution loosens up the tape and it comes off cleanly and quickly.
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 03:04:44 PM »
we only use tape to close up boxes.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 10:11:14 PM »
we only use tape to close up boxes.

I thought you were using rollers.  If so and square bar, how do you protect the mesh in the clamp?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 10:15:17 PM »
I thought that he used panels, but that may lead us astray here.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 11:22:32 PM »
I guess I remember back when he was fixing to go auto, he was looking for the auto size Newmans.  Maybe he switched to Panels in all the confusion.  Surely he will enlighten us, lol.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 08:02:49 AM »
panels, BUT -I'm going to grab that table and some rollers from Rex, the green roller or whatever it's called, try those out and see if the upgrade is really worth it. Sam will kill me if I don't try rollers.

wider scoop coater + winged floods = no tape . . .just sayin'
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 08:26:02 AM »
Monkey Tape. Like the Frog said rubber based is best. Wierd company, good product.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 01:48:56 PM »
If I'm not mistaken I think the original question was regarding tape for mesh
protection and not ink control.  I've used the Newman Yellow and R-Tape for
this, and currently prefer the R-Tape. The cost doesn't matter to me (one screen
popped going into production will by you 6 rolls of the Yellow) but I just don't
like working with the Newman stuff. Difficult to get it to lay flat, doesn't remove as
easy as the R-Tape, yadda yadda. YMMV. Blue looks cooler too.

For ink damns I use 3" rubber based tape from Quill.com. No complaints.