Author Topic: 15.75" wide print vs. 16" max. image area of press  (Read 2116 times)

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
15.75" wide print vs. 16" max. image area of press
« on: June 11, 2013, 04:02:50 AM »
These are the specs
Diamondback S max print size 16"x18"
Pallets 16"x 22" if I`m  not mistaken.

Image width 15.75"

Now I`m wondering if I have to expect any trouble as the image width is almost equal to the max print width of the press and fairly close to the max. width of the pallets.
Really want to print it on the auto as it is 100 black tees with a 3 color print.

Any advise available please?

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
Re: 15.75" wide print vs. 16" max. image area of press
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 07:29:18 AM »
These are the specs

Image width 15.75"

Now I`m wondering if I have to expect any trouble as the image width is almost equal to the max print width of the press and fairly close to the max. width of the pallets.
Really want to print it on the auto as it is 100 black tees with a 3 color print.

you should be able to print that width using 23" o.d. frame and 16" squeegee. Careful with the placement of the squeegee or you will break down the emulsion rubbing the edge of the pallet with the blade. Tight for sure but doable.
Rich Hoffman

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 11:11:15 AM »
If you use a beveled squeegee you can stand those straight up and will give you more stroke length to work with, I find they work better than your square squeegies when trying to go vertical with them...if you need some call Sonny

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Gabe

• If it`s not alive, I can print it.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 11:54:12 AM »
Also tape those edges, But my main concern is since you are printing too close to the image
it might leave pressure marks especially on black garments
but that depends how picky the client is

Offline Action1

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 03:13:33 PM »
Also - the left and right corners of the standard straight squeegee blades are slightly rounded . Therefore, a 16" squeegee with a standard straight blade can not print 16" wide but at the best 15.75" (if the rounding is only an 1/8th of an inch on each side.)

I think the 15.75" wide image  is going to be challenging because of that. You may want to swap rubber out and only slightly round the corners. 15.5" is a more comfortable width - I think.
I'd like to hear a follow up on this if/ when available.

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 07:48:14 PM »
Would it be of any help if we swap the 16" squeegee blades for let`s say 17" blades. That would mean they stick out on both sides by 0,5 inches as the squeegee holder would still be only 16" wide.

Offline Doug S

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 08:58:51 AM »
These are the specs

Image width 15.75"

Also the pallets have to be pretty parallel with the print heads and the screen frames need not be warped. 
It's not a job if you love doing it.

Offline Action1

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 03:43:30 PM »
Would it be of any help if we swap the 16" squeegee blades for let`s say 17" blades. That would mean they stick out on both sides by 0,5 inches as the squeegee holder would still be only 16" wide.

I'm going to say no on that. It's not good practice to use squeegees that are wider than the pallet.

These are the three main reasons:

1 - You will likely generate lines on both sides of the image at the corners of the pallets. When the squeegee presses the garment into the corner of the pallet, it causes this ghost image. I've heard it referred to as die migration. Perhaps someone here can elaborate further.
2 - The squeegee rubber blade is being misused and when it's back trying to do a 16.5" wide stroke - there will be apparent print degradation on the outsides of the image.
3 - It causes inordinate mesh wear. - As the mesh is being deformed over the corner of the pallet it's weakening the mesh.

Just my 2 cents -