Author Topic: What Compressors Are You Running?  (Read 1968 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
What Compressors Are You Running?
« on: July 07, 2011, 12:33:54 AM »
Would like to hear what you guys are running for compressors. What you like and dont like, reliability, break downs, noise, cost etc etc...

Offline Rick Roth

• Administrator
  • Verified/Junior
Re: What Compressors Are You Running?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 01:32:33 AM »
My maintenance person is a compressor mechanic by day and he recommends what we had before he came to work for us, a Kaeser.

We have had a Kaeser for over ten years and we don't do anything to it but change filters and very infrequent maintenance and it runs and runs and never stops. It is a screw type and don't get any other kind but a screw type.

Also do not be tempted to get a compressor that is barely powerful enough, you will regret it.

You MUST have a good and adequate chiller as well (takes moisture out of the line.)

You also should have a tank so the compressor does not have to run all the time.
Rick Roth
Mirror Image Inc      Pawtucket, RI 
New blog: theinkkitchen.com
twitter: @TheInkKitchen
mirrorimage.com   and   monkeyfishprinting.com

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 07:10:53 AM »
I second the Kaeser screw type compressor. We have a couple and they run like champs. And quiet? Heck ya. You can literally stand right next to it while it's running and carry on a conversation. Very simple PM on them also. Just did ours and it took about 30 minutes to do everything. Local service when I need it, but haven't had to use yet. 
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 07:35:12 AM »
Kaeser SX6 here.  Screw compressors are where its at. 
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 07:44:17 AM »
 we have 6 hamsters, a piston and a bucket with a lid. . . it works. . .

we have a Schultz. . .I know, I never heard of them either but it is a monster.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 08:22:53 AM »
Heck if i know what we have, it's loud and sits outside...so I don't care.  The pump on it isn't the best, it goes every 5 or so years and has to be rebuilt.  They aren't making parts for it anymore, so we have to get a new pump when this one is done.

The biggest thing with them is maintenance.  We change oil and filters that thing keeps pumping right along.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 09:37:23 AM »
When we buy a compressor again I'll likely go with the screw type but we kind of went cheap with our newest compressor and bought a Speedaire 7.5 hp 80 gal.  We've had it for 2 years and haven't had any issues with it yet.  It's not quiet, but it doesn't turn on but about every 200 indexes.  Even though it hasn't given us any problems, I always have this feeling about it, like it's my young daughter that is so sweet right now but she's going to turn into a monster in a few years.  I get paranoid when I buy something that isn't the best at what it does.  I'm like Dave on the power washer thread, I certainly don't mind paying more money to get something that is very high quality, although I didn't do that with the compressor...hopefully it won't bite me in the ass.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 09:39:25 AM »
Whatever you choose pay attention to where you place it. Mfgrs give different #s but at least three feet of free air all around to prevent overheating.

Offline Clark

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 10:37:49 AM »
I'm running a speedaire 7.5.  No issues thus far with it.  The company I bought it from had three of them running 4 autos.  It's loud, but I have it outside the shop, so you can't hear it. 

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 12:18:29 PM »
Third or fourth the Kaeser. Oil and filters is all.