Author Topic: mac os X Lion upgrade?  (Read 4789 times)

Offline thinkdesign

• Verified/Junior
Re: mac os X Lion upgrade?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 10:47:20 AM »
The iCloud service part of OS X lion is not coming out until this fall. It looks to be part free and part paid.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 05:13:26 PM »
I'd really like to get a web based fastmanager. Also a web based quickbooks. Although the web based version of quick books sucks, is expensive and only works with IE on PCs. ugh.

We use Saasu, web-based accounting.  I looked at the web-based QB.  It looked like poo and had some horrific and terrifying feedback from users so I went with this one.  It's very "open-ended" in that it can be or can't be just about whatever you want it to.  And it's $25 a month. They have an iphone app but not an android one yet, but it does work just fine in any browser.  It is not as powerful or convenient in the reporting or client/job tracking department as QB.  Once there's more api coder type people around here I'm going to have someone really juice it up for us though.

I'm wondering if, with the use of API or something similar, we're getting close enough to having programs like this integrate more easily into a "cloud platform", which is what I want ultimately.  A singular interface, accessible from multiple devices that organizes and integrates all the various functions you need even though the individual app's are their own creation.  I don't know enough about all this to say if we have a standardized language to achieve this or not.

It's the only major beef I have with web-based apps- they don't integrate too well.  If, for example, when I entered a due date in Saasu for a job activity that due date popped right up on google calendar I'd be a real happy camper.  If Apple pulls something like that out of their hat, I'll pay up for it but it doesn't look like we're quite there yet.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 07:09:49 PM »
Wow. I thought that the main selling point of Mac is super compatibility.

It's always been about stability.   I'm a MAC trapped in the body of a PC user.

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 06:06:50 AM »
I'd really like to get a web based fastmanager. Also a web based quickbooks. Although the web based version of quick books sucks, is expensive and only works with IE on PCs. ugh.

We use Saasu, web-based accounting.  I looked at the web-based QB.  It looked like poo and had some horrific and terrifying feedback from users so I went with this one.  It's very "open-ended" in that it can be or can't be just about whatever you want it to.  And it's $25 a month. They have an iphone app but not an android one yet, but it does work just fine in any browser.  It is not as powerful or convenient in the reporting or client/job tracking department as QB.  Once there's more api coder type people around here I'm going to have someone really juice it up for us though.

I'm wondering if, with the use of API or something similar, we're getting close enough to having programs like this integrate more easily into a "cloud platform", which is what I want ultimately.  A singular interface, accessible from multiple devices that organizes and integrates all the various functions you need even though the individual app's are their own creation.  I don't know enough about all this to say if we have a standardized language to achieve this or not.

It's the only major beef I have with web-based apps- they don't integrate too well.  If, for example, when I entered a due date in Saasu for a job activity that due date popped right up on google calendar I'd be a real happy camper.  If Apple pulls something like that out of their hat, I'll pay up for it but it doesn't look like we're quite there yet.

If your looking for someone to work with the API for Saasu check out rentacoder.com or elance.com. I've hired some people to do stuff i just don't have time for at my regular job and some small coding projects for inkbrigade and it's been awesome.

As for the singular interface.. that's gonna be tough. I think most web apps if people are smart would be built with mysql on the back end, php, html5 and ajax on the front end. That doesn't really solve making everything work together though. But you can pull data from mysql into excel or filemaker or something if you need to. Php, ajax and html 5 would let you access it all on any device.

I want a shop management program my staff can access from the press on their smart phones. Instead of walking all the way over to the office just to check on something. Such a waste of time.

It's gonna be awhile.. especially since screen printing is so small. But it will happen. I'm pretty happy with how google apps integrates and the software addons from 3rd party developers that are available in the google marketplace.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline Artelf2xs

•  Celebrating 29 years in the industry
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 03:43:52 PM »
My computer is a tool. A very important one,,,,  I need to be efficient with it and spend so much time exicuting things that change does not sit well with me...

I still don't like the new tab-able windows in Adobe, they get in my way. thank god you can still set them to the old school way...
I still prefer the simple non OSX mac platform or Steve Wozniack! Brilliant, simple, beautiful, functional.

I have an Iphone, I don't want my mac to have that interface. I took me this long to jump to an intel chip, not because it is venerable to worms & trojan  scripts but because the cool new software only works on it.

And Frog, I think Macs may have actually eclipsed Windows-based machines in terms of compatibility.   We have a wireless printer at the store and it hooked up just fine to all the macs, first try, but our windows 7 point of sale...no dice after hours of troubleshooting.  Hell hath indeed frozen over.    It's always been just the other way around.

On the contrary the Macintosh has always been superior in Plug and play.. Most times not even needing a manufactures driver program.
Lif'e too short to complain about stuff ( Like typos)