Author Topic: sticky film problem  (Read 5691 times)

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: sticky film problem
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 11:29:58 AM »
Never had issues with the Kimo non-wp films. A moot point if you have a pigment based printer though.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 11:39:46 AM »
Most brands of film carry a "water resistant" and a "waterproof" version. Fact is there is no such thing as a "waterproof" film at this moment. The latter vs is just more resistant. Compatibility of film to emulsion as well as proper climate contro should minimize or eliminate the problem. . As an FYI I am in in sticky Georgia and use an epson 4800 with stock ink and themore water resistant film supplied by I DOT. Emulsion is CCI 25WR. Film output and screen room are climate cotrolled. Zero issues.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 03:47:07 PM »
I'm pretty sure the issue most of you are having are with the films and not that your emulsion is not dry. At least in  my case. Fixxon's explained to me that the microporous coating the film uses is designed to open with moisture to absorb the ink. This would explain why if you wet your fingers the print side sticks to your finger. Obviously, a wet screen could cause the same scenario, but if you only have this problem during the summer, I would say chances are it is the humidity factor on your film. Try storing your films in a cool dark space and or an air conditioned area. I am told that should help.

In the mean time, I will be picking up some powder.

Online Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 05:13:31 PM »
What we've done is: screen dryer for screens, then stored in a dehumidified cabinet. We still have ink coming off of the film. I think you need a small room with a small AC, 5,000 BTU say, to keep stuff in on the worst days. I'm here in Mass too, and have dealt with this for a really long time now, and we still have troubles on the murkiest days. It doesn't last forever at least...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 07:34:18 PM »
Ultimately it is a moisture issue, we know this based on  winter / summer experience. Here in upstate NY we have every kind of weather you can think of, hot cold wet dry and then some.
 We have gone so far as to place screens in our dry box at 95 deg F for 4 hours and then immediately place on films for exposure (without the powder) and they still stuck and pulled off ink and emulsion. the problem may be ultimately with the film, this would possibly explain why soaking the screen and film yields no good results.
For whatever reason the freaking powder works like a charm every time. We thought we might try Pam cooking oil spray or a light coating of baby oil on the screen but the power worked so well we never had to go there.
Smooth as a baby's ass when you powder up ;D
respectfully
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.