Author Topic: 5 color sim process job  (Read 3383 times)

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
  • Always learning new things!
5 color sim process job
« on: September 09, 2013, 05:16:43 PM »
We ran this today. Dan did the seps for us. I really liked this order, and to the untrained eye, I don't think anyone out there will notice any of the issues with this print. However, as some of you will be able to tell we aren't able to hold those 5% dots (our fault, not our equipment's fault). I do want some constructive criticism on this, because we want to better ourselves on sim process, it's one of those areas where we struggle.

This was printed on 305 mesh

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: 5 color sim process job
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 05:39:59 PM »
'not sure what the original looked like, but I can't find any faults with that print!

You have good smooth transitions and no jaggy edges. The color looks good, too!

If that was ours, I'd be happy with it.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline DannyGruninger

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 06:43:08 PM »
Hey, I recognize those registration marks at the top! LOL

Awesome looking print, and nice seps DTD!!

Danny Gruninger
Denver Print House / Lakewood Colorado
https://www.instagram.com/denverprinthouse

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 09:21:43 PM »
I'd say that looks damn good. I'd be proud of that work, everyone involved
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 09:16:07 AM »
After doing the seps and seeing this, Yes, I'd agree, that outside of losing some of the lightest dots (mostly in the textures, you did an outstanding job with the printing. Those flesh colors seem to be dead on. There is that shadow color under the chin that was sort of fleshy yellowy puddy color that seems to be off (but thats on my part). It was a hard area to determine just how much of each color will make it accurate. Besides me and you, nobody else would have even notices and maybe not even you.

The brown type shadow (dark brown) could have been 10% darker in the black screen (again on my part). Once you blend 3 colors together to get a shade, it's hard to determine just how much is enough to get a rich brown but not too dark so that it leans into the black zone.  Black being very strong, you can over do it easily.

These tiny things are what (a separator) would change in the films..while it's still on press or at least I would, (if the employer would allow me that time). More often than not, an owner would say, looks great, get it out the door. With me, when I actually start printing my own orders, I know I'll be more of a perfectionist (at least until I get busier) and don't have time for a change. For my own taste, I would have beefed up the dark textures inside the exclamation point areas and inside the dark red type as well so it's more easily seen. It's there, but maybe just not as intense as I would like myself.

Whats nice about this one is the print order from what I normally do. We printed dark to light. We wanted to get the black down and let the colors print over top to allow them to blend well and darken up with (rich color). I think it worked out very well. I'm very pleased with the various shades of flesh tones and browns.  Here, using pms 032, you can see some precise differences between the shades of reds yellows, oranges and browns and down to the blacks. A true sim process.

These are knit picky things if we were to try to get it dead nuts on.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 12:14:19 PM »
Thanks Dan, yes we just can't hold some of those smallest dots yet. We have NuArc 3140 and roller frames so I know that we could tweak and get these things down pat, we just don't do a lot of sim process yet.

Fronts are running today and look pretty darn good considering how small it has to be on the left chest with all of that detail. I always get intimidated by jobs like this, but once they turn out looking good it makes you have a little bit of pride in what you can do.

Offline abchung

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 12:30:05 PM »
I must be in the untrained eye group.
I keep on looking and analysing it....
It is perfect to me.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 01:09:47 PM »
Great job of continuous tone! Reminds me of all the Indian Motorcycle pinup girls we did. 8 color DC on black though. Thats where we hit on messing with the activator %s.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 02:26:02 PM »
I think you're supposed to tape off those squares and crosshairs. 

JK.  ;)  Print looks GREAT. 

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 04:30:18 PM »
Thanks guys, that is very encouraging to hear.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 04:40:15 PM »
Maybe there are faults when looking at the actual print in person but there are none noticeable in the picture.  That's a damn fine print to me.  Were you able to get all the colors to pop without double stroking any of them?  There are some 4 color process jobs that we've had to double a color or two to get opacity but sim process on lights is a lot more forgiving.  You should put an underbase on that thing one day when you have some spare time on your hands and play with printing it on darks.  If you can do that, spend an hour or two and test print a couple dozen shirts, take notes, document all settings and parameters and analyze the best prints so the next tough job like that on darks you'll be ready for it. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 04:49:30 PM »
Alan yes, everything was single stroke. 305 mesh, wilflex MX inks. Tensions were not as high as I would have liked, but the screens held up just fine. Brand new 305 mesh.

Offline celtic

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 02:48:02 AM »
Good job all around: the seps and the print.
The colors pop too.