Author Topic: How do you store your "extra shirts" ?  (Read 2601 times)

Offline shellyky

How do you store your "extra shirts" ?
« on: July 15, 2011, 10:59:02 AM »
I generally order 1 per size per color if its a bigger job, and keep on hand 5-10 blacks/whites per size...we do mostly g200's so i was just stakcing these all on a shelf folded by size...its now outgrowing the shelf S-5x, plus some of them are getting dirty from non-use.  In addition, now ive got a ton of tank tops and kids sizes or fashion T's, etc that i dont want to mix in....

So, how are you guys storing your low count, extra blanks? anything creative or just toss them in a box and write "M" on the side?

Offline Fresh Baked Printing

• "Tattoo Free Since 1965"
Re: How do you store your "extra shirts" ?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 12:04:03 PM »
I don't order extras very often unless the art is hard and the deadline is very tight. I usually will-call my blanks from a local distributor so it's no big deal to get more if I need them.
The extras that I do accumulate are stored in a cabinet, folded.
I thinks it's pretty important to keep them folded and as extraneously crease free as possible.
50% of the time I'm 100% right.
http://www.spiffylab.com

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 01:04:33 PM »
One of few things I may have gotten right in terms of running a shop:

Sorry for the crappy phone pic, but you get the idea.

Extras (and plenty of them) are cheap insurance that can save a lot of headaches.
It sucks to keep stock but 1 instance can be worth it. Especially with discharge.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 01:24:34 PM »
I used to always buy an extra of every size per order. I've got probably about 3 cases of mixes brands/styles/weights/colors that I'll never use and I've had sitting around for probably 5 years. Gonna use 'em as set ups. Since I've got 3 warehouses within a half-hour drive, I just order what I need and make damn sure I don't screw up (yeah, right). After awhile, the economy of getting an extra or so with every order to save a drive to pick up one or two shirts to replace mesprints becomes false when you've got bins of shirts that you'll likely never use in the foreseeable future.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 01:29:12 PM »
One of few things I may have gotten right in terms of running a shop:

Sorry for the crappy phone pic, but you get the idea.

Extras (and plenty of them) are cheap insurance that can save a lot of headaches.
It sucks to keep stock but 1 instance can be worth it. Especially with discharge.

Who do you use for your box printing?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 01:39:48 PM »
Yours truly. Flatstock printing is one of my hobbies and this was the first project off my new (to me) Eclipse.

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 01:53:06 PM »
Custom boxes or at least custom packing tape/label is a great touch!

Offline T Shirt1

• !!!
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 02:01:53 PM »
Here are the loose ones - a little of everything but rarely what we need.  Also we try to keep about 10-15 cases of white 779 on hand.

And I sure like those boxes.  Nice touch.
steve

Offline Northland

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 03:03:12 PM »
Well Done... East Bay.

I too, order extra shirts for every job I print.
Most of the time I'll print the extras and give them to the customer for free.
I've never had a customer tell me they are "short" one shirt.... they know they got more than they paid for.
If I miss a defect... again, no problem, they've got an extra.
It may cost me $20 in profit on a job... but it's one of those factors that keeps a customer coming back.
They perceive it as "free shirts", but it's built into my prcing structure.

I stock Black, White, Sport Gray... so at any given time I have about $2k in inventory.
About 75% of my business is black, white, gray.
And, about 90% is Gildan 2000 style.
I always get free shipping... because I can add a case of shirts to any order to meet the free shipping minimum.

Offline dsh

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 11:48:01 AM »
In another life I acquired a bunch of grocery store Lozier shelving.  All the shelves are adjustable (every 4 foot) , and a center placed gondola can have shelves on both sides.  I have 48 running feet of shelving (4 shelves high) in 32' of space.  Makes it easy to store cases and the loose shirts too.

Offline garagewear

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 11:44:01 PM »
I always order 1 or 2 of each size extra. I store them in Rubbermaid tubs on warehouse shelving I got when the Lane Furniture store went under. I print mixed shirts for the local Kairos prison ministry 3 or 4 times a year and I have two childrens ministries I print mixed for as well. I probably have 1000 shirts on hand but cycle through them and always have an extra for those OH Crap runs.