Author Topic: New Sportsman EX 10-12 or Rebult Gauntlet II with 3.5 million impressions  (Read 5434 times)

Offline TNA

Hi Guys

We need another automatic. Looking at a new Sportsman EX or a rebuilt (By CGS) 2000 Gauntlet II with 3.5 million prints.
They are both the same price. We love the Gauntlets and are not to familiar with the Sportsmans.
We are looking for a comparision of the two and are having a hard time finding anything like that on line.
Can someone shed some light on this?

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
personally I would go new...

However it is an M&R so it will last, but you never know how someone else treated it. 

and for the same price..hmmmm I would go new.

btw  did I say go new...

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
I have a 2001 10/12 gauntlet II rebuilt by CGS, so I can only offer my knowledge there....and 110%, no questions asked I would buy it again. machines aside, you get the service and support of an M&R machine PLUS CGS, that's a win/win. Tony and his crew helped me out tremendously and were available night and day. my machine had around 300k impressions so it wasn't broken in yet so there wasn't too much to replace...and correct me if i'm wrong but I think the sportsman exg is the gauntlet II...I can only say that if you go CGS, you will not regret it. there is a lot to say about buying new, so I'm not going to vote either way.....

I KNEW sam would say new....same price? that's kinda strange...
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
  • Always learning new things!
TNA we are in a similar situation as you, except we are preparing to go ahead and purchase new. Scared to get someone else's problem, even if it has been rebuilt by a reputable company such as CGS (I know nothing about them, but have heard good things). Especially for the same price, I don't see how you could go wrong buying new?

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
I passed on that very machine. For the money new is the way to go. 3.5 mil is some good wear and tear rebuilt or not and for what they wanted for it it was too much. Anything more than 35-40k for that is way too much.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
I needed prices for insurance purposes. here was the quote i got:
Sportsman EX 20X20 10/8 = $57,250     +crate @ $925
Sportsman EX 20X20 12/10 = $71,100    + crate @ $1,050
OR

Sportsman EX 16X18 10/8 = $44,500     + crate @ $825
Sportsman EX 16X18 12/10 = $55,000    + crate @ $950

So I hope the gauntlet isn't that much if so NEW.

Food for thought.
Shane

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
yeah the price is very important here, I haven't looked it up but if it truly is same price new vs old....then you have no choice but to go new...as much as I praise cgs, it doesn't really become a factor..UNLESS you are talking a new all air machine vs a used ac/servo....then we have some variables to talk about.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Admiral

Easily new if same price...

While the Guantlet 2 is now the Sportsman EXG which costs more so wouldn't be in the equation, 3.5million imprints is a lot and imo would mean the next 1 million imprints will require new parts here and there.  A new EX on the otherhand with 0 imprints will likely last 1-2million with minor or no parts replacement not to mention it would be under warranty for most of that too.

Everyone knows how a new Sportsman EX would run....it would be risk free.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
I needed prices for insurance purposes. here was the quote i got:
Sportsman EX 20X20 10/8 = $57,250     +crate @ $925
Sportsman EX 20X20 12/10 = $71,100    + crate @ $1,050
OR

Sportsman EX 16X18 10/8 = $44,500     + crate @ $825
Sportsman EX 16X18 12/10 = $55,000    + crate @ $950

So I hope the gauntlet isn't that much if so NEW.

Food for thought.
Shane

Is the only difference between the two 12/10's the extra 2" stroke that costs over $15K?  The 20x20 isn't that big of a deal bigger unless every component on the machine is larger to support a slightly larger print area.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Oh, and I'd have a hard time paying the same for the GII as the new sportsman unless the sportsman was all air and had no options and the GII was LOADED and the rebuild was going to be extremely comprehensive.  Meaning going so far as to replace the central hub and pretty much all moving parts that could fail in the next 5 years. 

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline cbjamel

• Gonzo Member
Re: New Sportsman EX 10-12 or Rebult Gauntlet II with 3.5 million impressions
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 06:18:32 PM »
Alan, I also wondered that. I assume the heads etc are adjusted apart for the 4" in width and 2" in length bigger. Maybe Rich can answer.
Remember msrp price you would pay less with your dealer.
Shane

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
Re: New Sportsman EX 10-12 or Rebult Gauntlet II with 3.5 million impressions
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 08:19:23 PM »
Alan, I also wondered that. I assume the heads etc are adjusted apart for the 4" in width and 2" in length bigger. Maybe Rich can answer.
Remember msrp price you would pay less with your dealer.
Shane
there is a lot of difference in the two presses other than image size. Different base,carriage bars, squeegee,s,flood bars, pallets, program, and some cylinders. There is also a volume issue that is important. The smaller press is sold in high volume while the larger press is much lower. Huge difference in manufacturing cost when running large quantities of parts versus small runs..
Rich Hoffman