Author Topic: 36" banner on Poly Canvas pressing with 15" x 15" heat press.  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
36" banner on Poly Canvas pressing with 15" x 15" heat press.
« on: October 12, 2013, 06:26:13 PM »
I have this job that came in with, you know, "where that one customer who always wants something you don't do" try's to convince you that should try.

Now, I know it can be done, but (Can I do it)?  It's a 36" Digital transfer on a Canvas banner material that has Poly/something else content made for outdoors. really thick stuff so I'm not too worried about it melting. I'm only able to press it on my 15" x 15" heat press. I'm more worried about getting it to adhere properly.

What are the issues with doing this as far as curability with the step and repeat process.  I know some areas will need to overlap and get double pressing. So, does that cause issues. Visible issues?  How doe people do these LARGe banners that don't ahve a larger heat press to accommodate?

See image.  Obviously, only the center of this canvas is to be the digital print. Not the while thing, but it's still 36" wide by 20 tall.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: 36" banner on Poly Canvas pressing with 15" x 15" heat press.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 06:30:59 PM »
Why not just have it printed directly via a wide format?

Then maybe I'm missing something. (Is this a metaphor Dan? ;) )

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 06:36:38 PM »
Because it's an exiting material already purchased or supplied by the customer. He has this stuff for sort of a background on a patio. He now would like to use this material and have it printed.  I guess there is some sort of clear material like a clear decal that can be laid over top like "lamination maybe?  I' not familiar with all that available as options. I only know what I have available form my current resources.

Thanks
Dan

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 06:49:15 PM »
What type of digital transfer? Solvent ink print and cut?

Actually, either way, for this challenge, this design looks pretty cooperative.
It looks like you can make some clean cuts to then splice on subsequent pressings.

Note, I did say challenge. This will take care and a little luck. Make sure the missus guards the door from Murphy dropping in.

Oh, and if this a canvas blend type material, you lost me with the laminating.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 07:08:09 PM »
What type of digital transfer? Solvent ink print and cut?

Actually, either way, for this challenge, this design looks pretty cooperative.
It looks like you can make some clean cuts to then splice on subsequent pressings.

Note, I did say challenge. This will take care and a little luck. Make sure the missus guards the door from Murphy dropping in.

Oh, and if this a canvas blend type material, you lost me with the laminating.

I don't know about the laminating thing. Just talking out of my arse. Spouting off things I've seen or heard of.

The digital print supplier I am working with has a new printer. A Digital color printer. Name brand "Mutoh 60" wide" on a roll.  After looking at that website it seems the printer and ink will hold up on this material and outdoors.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 07:26:40 PM »
There are definitely ways to direct print this.  Otherwise, we have pressed, moved, and pressed a number of large designs on weird crap (like pressing plastisol onto putting green material...fun times) without issues.  Make sure your pressure isn't too heavy that it will show lines at the edges.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 07:29:50 PM »
He should be able to feed that material in and print straight on it.

Unless I'm still missing something, I think this is the way to go.