Author Topic: who else here rides?  (Read 4937 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
who else here rides?
« on: April 11, 2011, 05:24:52 PM »
Frog and I are in the BMW clan . . . any other motorcycle enthusiasts?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Re: who else here rides?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 07:10:15 PM »
I'm thinking of getting a low end beginner Harley. Cuz, well, I might be able to get a good price. :)
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 07:33:55 PM »
I got a Mongoose...........one horse power  ;D

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 07:35:25 PM »
"beginning Harley" sounds so funny to riders of my age because back in the day, they had a group of small singles, the Pacer, the Scat, and the Hummer that were true lightweight, affordable beginner bikes with enough pep to get one to the High School and not look dorky. Harley also sold Aermacchi four stroke 250 and 350 singles that were competitive. for a while.

What's the smallest Harley now, 850 or more?

Old farts like me have really been shocked at the performance level of the Japanese bikes that kids with credit consider "entry level" Sheer suicide!

I'm still looking for a small lightweight bike right now for short trips.

But enough of this chit chat, let's see these rides!
Mine's been posted before, but here it is again
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 08:22:22 PM »
Wow.  cool.  What year is that?
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 09:19:55 PM »
It's a bit of what we call a Frankenbeemer. An R100S with a '79 frame, modded in the period with CC parts from San Jose BMW, a local shop. They strengthened the swing arm, added a billet top clamp, and a trick side stand (the stock stands were iffy at best.) Since this pic, I have added some auxiliary side  fuel tanks made by Luftmiester of unobtanium, to increase my range by another eighty or so miles. About 7.5 gallons now gets me 250 miles comfortably, 300 in a pinch. The engine is a 1980 S, and somehow the paperwork says the whole thing is a 1981. Oh well.

I gotta find you a pic of one of our group outings with fifty or so of these "Airheads"

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 12:04:15 AM »
Impressive.  probably cost a good bit being a BMW. More than Harley comparably?

Offline Printhouse

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 12:06:34 AM »
Actually bikes are what got me into printing in the first place.  I have been building bikes for awhile and own a forum that caters to builders and fabricators.  I was having shirts printed for my forum and ended up with enoughy money to buy a press of my own.... the reast is history!  I ride daily.  My main rides are a 2007 Flyrite Choppers Bobber, a 2006 Sportster and a 1978 SR500 Cafe Racer.  I have plenty more in my stable in various states of builds.  

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 12:37:04 AM »
Impressive.  probably cost a good bit being a BMW. More than Harley comparably?

Surprisingly affordable and easy to live with. A bike similar to mine could span the range of $1500-$4k, depending on condition, mods, or originality.
And, parts are, for the most part, available. I'm also lucky enough to have a local dealer (almost coasting distance, lol) who still stocks, or can order Airhead parts.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 02:23:56 AM »
Beat to crap Sportster. Bought it slightly used in 1987. I'll ride it anywhere, though. A low 94,502 miles, after a quick sprint this past Saturday up to the Leesburg Bikefest to stand around in the hot sun drinking too much sh!tty beer. Plan on using it as a donor bike for a Paughco frame and bits and pieces I've had sitting around forever, half built up. Ordered some more crap from McMaster-Carr to cobble up a rear brake stay. Anyhoo, enough of the tease ?? here's my rolling eyesore:
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 03:47:43 AM »
Actually bikes are what got me into printing in the first place.  I have been building bikes for awhile and own a forum that caters to builders and fabricators.  I was having shirts printed for my forum and ended up with enoughy money to buy a press of my own.... the reast is history!  I ride daily.  My main rides are a 2007 Flyrite Choppers Bobber, a 2006 Sportster and a 1978 SR500 Cafe Racer.  I have plenty more in my stable in various states of builds. 

Curiously, do you have any issues with the rear sprocket/disc combo getting mucked up with chain lube? I've seen these advertised but always wondered about fouling the pads on the rear caliper.
Nice scooter, by the way. Post a link to your bike forum?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:54:04 AM by tpitman »
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Printhouse

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 08:18:19 AM »
I have had zero issues as of yet.  I use a high viscosity lube that does not fling much.  My Site is www.Bobbertalk.com  It has been around since 2007.  I have lots of freinds running paughco frames on their sporty's.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 09:09:03 AM »
Far all of you bikers, if you need a custom paint job, check this out  http://www.jeromeborris.com/
He is my buddy, and does a wonderful airbrush work.

Offline ftembroidery

• !!!
  • Just got new glasses, but I'm still disillusioned
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 08:11:04 PM »
I don't know how many of you remember Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, but if I was still on my bike, I'd remind you of the guy in the yellow raincoat on the tricycle that always fell over.  I've got a bum leg that collapses without warning, so I sold my bike to save myself injury and embarrassment.

1984 Honda V65 Sabre (VF1100S)
Grant me the ability to change the things I can, the strength to accept the things I cannot and the wisdom to recognize the difference.

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 11:50:34 PM »
I used to have a Kawasaki 454ltd. I am now looking for an early 70's Honda CB750 to make into a cafe racer.