Author Topic: Vacuum Blanket  (Read 92589 times)

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
Re: Vacuum Blanket
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 02:18:28 PM »
If by clearance, you mean "sag" in the middle, I'd say that much at a minimum. You don't want to go crazy but the stuff simply doesn't wrap around a screen frame like neoprene does, and you want to make sure you have intimate contact in the area of your film. My AmerGraph 150 has almost that much sag.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 03:16:04 PM »
If by clearance, you mean "sag" in the middle, I'd say that much at a minimum. You don't want to go crazy but the stuff simply doesn't wrap around a screen frame like neoprene does, and you want to make sure you have intimate contact in the area of your film. My AmerGraph 150 has almost that much sag.

I mean "sag" between the vacuum frame's sides and the screen's sides.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 04:01:40 PM »
 This is what I got 5 yrs ago and ordered enough for 2 covers, still on the firsr one. Holds up good and really goes down snug to the screen. Good Luck

www.foamorder.com

Item:      Neoprene sheet, 51" x 83", Black, 4 mm, with Black nylon backing
Qty.:      1
Price Ea.: $97.20
Extended:  $97.20

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 04:31:50 PM »
I need to find a vacuum blanket for our Armergraph Advantage 150.  Amergraph can have them made but it's a four week lead time.  I've searched this site and the old one but didn't find anything current.  Thanks.
steve

A suggestion for the future. I've got the same unit, and from the get-go I place some 4" squares of dense foam, about 3/8" thick, on all 4 corners of my frames before lowering the blanket. A couple of layers of mousepad foam would be good, too. I use roller frames with the square bar and that thing has sharp corners that'll probably wear out a blanket in no time. As much as blankets cost, and the fact that I position my frames in the exact same spot on the glass everytime, was why I'm trying to save my blanket if possible. I'm also a cheap bastard.

I did something similar when I had a big ol' 60"x80" (+/-) vacuum frame. I put a dense foam, maybe 2"x2", all the way around the inside of the frame. When the vacuum come on, the blanket didn't come straight down along the tubular frame, but kind of angled down towards the glass. That saved me a LOT of money from having to replace the blanket.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Lizard

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 07:08:36 PM »
My roofing buddy gave me some industrial roofing rubber.  Stuff works great. We have been using it for at least a year.  We cover the screen with a piece of fabric to help even out the vacuum and also helps keep the rubber clean.

Go see your roofing buddy, he probably has some extra laying around.

Toby
Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 07:27:53 PM »
I seem to remember Draggin Doug telling a similar story from the islands back when we first got onto pond liner a couple of forums ago.
Apparently very similar stuff.

So, for those without roofing buddies, fortunately ponds are more commonly DIY , and the liner more easily found.
Otherwise, keep your eyse open for some poor roofer sweating away on top of a building, and offer him a few cold ones! ;D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2011, 01:22:09 AM »
This is what I got 5 yrs ago and ordered enough for 2 covers, still on the firsr one. Holds up good and really goes down snug to the screen. Good Luck

www.foamorder.com

We went through these people as well.  Very cheap and the process was smooth, product was great and it will probably last forever.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline shirtz

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2011, 06:25:05 AM »
Pondliner.com don't remember the cost but it was really inexpensive, and enough for two blankets.

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 12:28:38 PM »

www.foamorder.com

I took a look at that site and I noticed two things, buying eleven sheets or more of the nylon backed stuff cuts the price down considerably and that the plain sheets are really cheap compared to the backed neoprene. Even though plain sheets shouldn't last as long, wouldn't it be better to have a more flexible blanket?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2011, 12:59:59 PM »

www.foamorder.com

I took a look at that site and I noticed two things, buying eleven sheets or more of the nylon backed stuff cuts the price down considerably and that the plain sheets are really cheap compared to the backed neoprene. Even though plain sheets shouldn't last as long, wouldn't it be better to have a more flexible blanket?

when the backing was on the top, the neoprene started ripping after 3-4 exposures. I would imaging it would not last very long if any at all without backing . . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2011, 02:58:22 PM »
Yikes! Good to know.

Offline Rick Roth

• Administrator
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2011, 12:17:13 AM »
Douthitt  has the best blankets, you'll have to check if they can supply one for your Amergraph. There are some many variables that you can't control in screenprinting. Having a good blanket so you get great contact between film and screen is so important, not something you want to worry about. You would not have to have too many bad screens before you wished you had paid a little more for a good blanket.
Rick Roth
Mirror Image Inc      Pawtucket, RI 
New blog: theinkkitchen.com
twitter: @TheInkKitchen
mirrorimage.com   and   monkeyfishprinting.com

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2011, 07:15:15 PM »
I'm probably one of the few that will agree with Rick. Anytime I had to replace a blanket,I went with a Douthitt. That happened to be the brand of vacuum table I had too. I know a lot of folks use different material that costs a lot less.I just like to remove any variable possible.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2011, 09:57:45 PM »
I bought the same blanket as Bluemoon off ebay, got tried of taping holes in my old one, hes right about 60 some odd bucks,  but I installed mine with the rubber side toward the glass, fab side up and it work fine.  They shipped in a few days

Scuze me.  I'm having flashbacks with some of this strong vacuum sucking..

Reminds me of the cigarette scene in this- (weak video)

http://www.myspace.com/video/dan/rolling-stones-she-was-hot/5820911

« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 10:00:30 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline David005

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2011, 06:38:47 PM »
I can vouch on home depot pond liner works perfect in our solar beam  ;D ;D ;D