Author Topic: Vacuum Blanket  (Read 92582 times)

Offline Grumpy Ole Artist

• Eschew obfuscation
Re: Vacuum Blanket
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2013, 10:16:06 AM »
We have a BBHO brand, model 2345 UV fluorescent tube exposure unit...(Anybody ever heard of this brand/model, I haven't!) Went to a local sheet rubber vendor, and bought a big chunk of closed cell neoprene....I'm in Ohio, so I've never had one on to verify, but the supplier told me that it's wet suit material...If one can ignore the lovely Magenta cloth on top, it works fine. It's been a few years, but I think it was only about 15 dollars for the material.
Humor is the unexpected juxtaposition of incongruities.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2013, 10:35:34 AM »
We have a BBHO brand, model 2345 UV fluorescent tube exposure unit...(Anybody ever heard of this brand/model, I haven't!) Went to a local sheet rubber vendor, and bought a big chunk of closed cell neoprene....I'm in Ohio, so I've never had one on to verify, but the supplier told me that it's wet suit material...If one can ignore the lovely Magenta cloth on top, it works fine. It's been a few years, but I think it was only about 15 dollars for the material.

I suspect that most tops are a little larger than what $15 will buy of closed cell neoprene foam (which is used for wet suits) but many here have used a West Coast supplier which has already been mentioned in this thread way back when...
http://www.foamorder.com/

Readers may also note that many report good results with the less stretchy pond liner material.

This whole thread contains lots of first hand reports, probably explains the sticky status assigned.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2013, 01:08:10 PM »
I think Foam Order was backordered on the size/thickness I wanted so I ended up finding these folks. Also CA based.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2013, 01:15:59 PM »
I think Foam Order was backordered on the size/thickness I wanted so I ended up finding these folks. Also CA based.

LOL, with the number of folks that we have been sending them since the days of TSPMB to now, perhaps we vacuum table folks are putting a serious dent in their normal stock!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2013, 04:43:40 PM »

Which thickness did you grab?  I'm thinking I could make one of those pcs work on our big Millington frame, using the existing gasket.

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2013, 04:48:05 PM »
I got 3MM for the flex, next time I'd go 4, 'specially on a big frame.

It's good stuff. Get the nylon/smooth if that's not what I linked to.

Offline ScreenFoo

• Gonzo Member
  • Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2013, 06:15:13 PM »
McMaster Carr has a few too.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2013, 06:27:46 PM »

I looked at their website (hookloop) and all of their products have some form of nylon backing. 

FoamOrder has a plain (unbacked) option.  Does the one you got from hookloop have any issues stretching over the frames on the vacuum table?
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2013, 06:40:09 PM »
No, and the one it replaced (M&R) has a fabric backing (fabric side down) as well.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2013, 07:13:16 PM »
The blanket on our Millington is fabric faced too.  Gonna check this out, thx Sean.

Offline Rick Roth

• Administrator
  • Verified/Junior
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2014, 01:12:09 PM »
See if Douthitt makes one, their blankets are superior as are their exposure units. I don't know if they can make one for an Amergraph. but it is worth a call. There are too many variables in screenprinting, I would not save money on a blanket (or an exposure unit for that matter.) Hey, I started with a 150 watt light bulb and a pie plate reflector and using a piece of glass instead of a blanket and of course the sun works also but if you are serious...

Action engineering has replacement parts for lots of equipment, also worth a call if you are in a hurry, but will almost for sure will not be the quality of the Douthitt.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:21:53 PM by rickrothmi »
Rick Roth
Mirror Image Inc      Pawtucket, RI 
New blog: theinkkitchen.com
twitter: @TheInkKitchen
mirrorimage.com   and   monkeyfishprinting.com

Offline markdhl

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2015, 10:22:10 AM »
Douthitt makes replacement vacuum blankets for any vacuum frame and our unique material will give better contact and longer life.

Yes, we do many for the old nuarc units and amergraph.  Delivery about one week.

Mark from Douthitt.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2015, 11:52:18 AM »
The Douthitt blankets are much more expensive though, and I have seen zero issues with the 3mm neoprene using 55 lpi with my unit.

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2015, 11:54:34 AM »
correct, but a high volume shop will probably tear up a standard blanket pretty quickly.  when Rick Roth says Douthitt blankets are better...I listen.

Or go DTS and forget about a blanket altogether.

Offline markdhl

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2015, 11:59:15 AM »
Yes, very important to have about 5 inches from the beading to the screen on all sides.

Douthitt manufactures blankets for any vacuum frame.

Mark Diehl
Douthitt
mark@douthittcorp.com