Author Topic: 3 over 1 coating?  (Read 1564 times)

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
3 over 1 coating?
« on: November 15, 2013, 01:16:24 PM »
Anyone do, or have done the 3 over 1 coating technique? I coated some HXT emulsed screens and also some Chroma blue using the 1 on the shirt side, 3 from the squeegee side coating technique and man talk about some serisouly awesome EOM. These screens imaged and have printed pretty dam awesome. I think that's my new technique except for sim pro screens. Try it if you have the time.
Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: 3 over 1 coating?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 01:28:26 PM »
I often need to use three strokes to get my usual glisten or shine, but it's on the opposite sides and order than you just described.

Wow, between you, Roger Jennings and 3deep, my coating world is getting turned upside down!  :o
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 01:42:53 PM »
Frog, you coat 3 on the shirt side, and 1 on the squeegee side? I was always made to understand that you achieve the best EOM by the coating on the squeegee side of the screen which should push the emulsion through to the face? Just making sure I understand correctly.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 01:45:39 PM »
That last stroke on the squeegee side pushes it all back to where it belongs.

As long as you end with squeegee side, it's doing similarly with your three, I guess.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 01:47:59 PM by Frog »

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 02:02:10 PM »
Let me reiterate the whole process as I learned it from Doug Grigar, and as spelled out in his magazine article, and on his Grendel site as well as on our front page.
On the substrate side, one, two, three, six, or however many strokes it takes to achieve a glistening shiny look on the squeegee side. (it indicates that the emulsion is now getting above the actual threads of the mesh. Finish with a coat on the squeegee side, pushing it back to the print side.

Let me also point out that I was many years in the industry before I heard the term EOM, or folks seemed interested in quantifying Emulsion Over Mesh.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 02:20:59 PM »
All the time.  For screens above 200 or so it usually takes 3 coats on the shirt side to get the glisten and then we do one coat on the squeegee side to finish it off.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 02:26:23 PM »
ok, I got ya, same principal, different combo in coats. I'll coat some today in the reverse like you guys just stated, 3 on the face, finished with 1 on the squeegee side and see how the final renders in from this other way. Will be cool if it's even better than this

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 07:46:56 PM »
Well, thanks for the info.  I don't do a lot of screens these days (mostly part time), but I just did some 2 nights ago and I did 3 coats but started on substrate and finished on substrate side.

doh!
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers