Author Topic: Wow, Screen Tape Costs!!!  (Read 45484 times)

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
Wow, Screen Tape Costs!!!
« on: November 15, 2013, 02:19:38 PM »
I am particular about the screen tape we use.  I've been buying the intertape #510 and it's a natural rubber based adhesive at 2.5 mil and we've used a ton of different mils and brands of tape over the years and settled on this.  I have gotten it for around $4.15/roll and last time a little over $5/roll but now I have to draw the line at $7.99/roll.

I know we have all talked about the tape we use but it's scattered about in different threads.  Can you guys list the exact tape you're using to tape the insides of your screens?  I'm assuming most are using a natural rubber based adhesive since the others don't work very well, but what brand, spec and supplier? 

I don't like the super thin, 1.8 mil tape since we have fans blowing all over production that tape is harder to work with and I don't think I'll like the 2.0 mil but I'm going to try it anyway.  So I've bought the #500 Intertape, 2.0 mil but it's price is still way too high for my liking, $6.49/roll.  I'll work as hard as I have to to find a more affordable tape that still works but if anyone has one that they love at a good price point let's get it out in this thread.  I have a feeling that those who will be buying tape soon are going to be going through this same issue I am.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
Re: Wow, Screen Tape Costs!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 02:28:17 PM »
3 inch masking tape from ACE hardware 2.85 roll.  Been using it for 16 years.  Plastisol and discharge jobs.  yes paper masking tape.
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 02:29:01 PM »
We use the 500.

It is on the thin side but it doesn't bother me much.

We get it a bit cheaper from a different supplier.

Offline screenprintguy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Constantly thanking the Lord!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 02:32:44 PM »
3" 110 yard 2.5 mill natural rubber adheasive clear tape from Uline here. Love it, never leaves residue, easy to work with, holds up awesome through waterbased jobs when applied right. $5.60, down to $4 and change per roll depending on your quantity ordered

Evolutionary Screen Printing & Embroidery
3521 Waterfield Parkway Lakeland, Fl. 33803 www.evolutionaryscreenprinting.com

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 02:37:16 PM »
I use 155NR3X110WHITE from Nazdar. Its 110 yards leaves zero adhesive easy to work with but probably thin for you. it is $7.36 a roll. Nazdar has no documentation on its specs nor is it even on their site like half their stuff.

"No man is an island"

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 02:43:40 PM »
I am particular about the screen tape we use.  I've been buying the intertape #510 and it's a natural rubber based adhesive at 2.5 mil and we've used a ton of different mils and brands of tape over the years and settled on this.  I have gotten it for around $4.15/roll and last time a little over $5/roll but now I have to draw the line at $7.99/roll.

I know we have all talked about the tape we use but it's scattered about in different threads.  Can you guys list the exact tape you're using to tape the insides of your screens?  I'm assuming most are using a natural rubber based adhesive since the others don't work very well, but what brand, spec and supplier? 

I don't like the super thin, 1.8 mil tape since we have fans blowing all over production that tape is harder to work with and I don't think I'll like the 2.0 mil but I'm going to try it anyway.  So I've bought the #500 Intertape, 2.0 mil but it's price is still way too high for my liking, $6.49/roll.  I'll work as hard as I have to to find a more affordable tape that still works but if anyone has one that they love at a good price point let's get it out in this thread.  I have a feeling that those who will be buying tape soon are going to be going through this same issue I am.

Tried many other tapes and keep going back to Shurtape CP66 in 72 mm.   Google it - you can buy it from many vendors.

Spec sheet is attached.

~Kitson
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Online Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 03:00:49 PM »
Al, do you guys use tape on ALL screens or just wb? we only tape on wb screens. wider scoop coater on the plastisol screens = no tape....I can justify spending a bit more on tape for wb if we don't go through a yard on every screen we make. we use 3" wide paper tape here too.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 03:17:39 PM »
We use intertape  2" wide 110 roll and we get it from J&J supply, that's the main tape alone with some blue block tape.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 03:20:32 PM »
we use ULINE S-6536  3" x 110 yards 2.5 Mil Clear Natural Rubber Tape

144 roll price is at 4.30 per roll

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-6536/Natural-Rubber-Carton-Sealing-Tape/3-x-110-yards-25-Mil-Clear-Natural-Rubber-Tape

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 04:27:06 PM »
This is what we use...am i doing something wrong by not buying more expensive tape?

http://www.ontimesupplies.com/mmm3710t6-bulk-packed-commercial-grade-tape-2in-x-55-yards-3in-core-tan.html

You can pull it off the screens and absolutely zero residue..we dog ear one corner and the way we tape just pulls off easy with one shot. Nothing happens to the tape even after we print 3500 shirts..

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 04:41:22 PM »
The rubber adhesive is what you want, so if you're okay with its weight/thickness, go for it!
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 07:37:54 PM »

I don't use it, but found this -

http://www.industrialsupplies.com/displayproductdetail.do?skuSearch=Q52968&mr:referralID=NA&itemGroupOID=216498&origin=pla&cid=pla_goog&9gtype=search&mr:filter=20975063257%26cid&baseItemOID=216498&mr:ad=25000371577&mr:trackingCode=17783EA3-02AF-E011-87D9-001B21A69EB8&source=google_pla&sku=216499&mr:device=c&mr:adType=pla

This is the 110 yard in a case of 36 for $3.11 each.

http://www.industrialtapesupply.com/products/Intertape-510-2in-x-110-yds-Natural-Rubber-Carton-Sealing-Tape-Heavy-Duty-Clear.html?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=Feed
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 07:41:23 PM by screenxpress »
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 08:50:08 PM »
we use ULINE S-6536  3" x 110 yards 2.5 Mil Clear Natural Rubber Tape

144 roll price is at 4.30 per roll

http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-6536/Natural-Rubber-Carton-Sealing-Tape/3-x-110-yards-25-Mil-Clear-Natural-Rubber-Tape

We use this too. Awesome stuff for WB and plastisol. Best tape we have used yet.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 09:55:10 PM »
3" 110 yard 2.5 mill natural rubber adheasive clear tape from Uline here. Love it, never leaves residue, easy to work with, holds up awesome through waterbased jobs when applied right. $5.60, down to $4 and change per roll depending on your quantity ordered

Have you ordered recently?
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 10:41:56 PM »
Couple of cases 2 days ago.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin