Author Topic: Do you use silicone spray?  (Read 3442 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Do you use silicone spray?
« on: February 14, 2012, 11:53:06 PM »
I heard that you spray it on the back of screens. My question is do you use it? why? does it transfer to the shirt?

Offline killergraphics

Re: Do you use silicone spray?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 11:57:37 PM »
Yes but Pam cooking spray works better for me on the auto.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 12:10:09 AM »
Yes but Pam cooking spray works better for me on the auto.

Pam cooking spray? Please explain how you use it on the auto.

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 12:31:42 AM »
And what is the purpose if I may ask?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 01:33:47 AM »
Silicone and/or its hillbilly counterpart, Pam are both used on screens while wet-on-wet priting to reduce ink build-up and subsequent print muddiness.
Many find it unnecessary with the correct inks and/or modifiers, and with high tension screens and derisively consider it a band-aid.

Then again, band-aids come in handy when the time comes.

I can't speak to Pam, but no, when used judiciously and allowed to dry for a half minute or so, silicone doesn't transfer to the shirt.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 05:49:38 AM »
a workd of caution on silicone sprays... some of them are pretty junky, heavy splattering spray that is just a mess and not much value to the silicone...mostly water or some other unwanted stuff. Others are a nice fine mist and lots of silicone . We discovered this years ago while woodworking. We used it to lubricate the table saw top and fence and some other sliding parts. Some sprays were just junk and the price was all the same, sorry can't remember the good / bad brands.
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline killergraphics

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 08:38:18 AM »
Like Frog said it is a bandaid.

Most of the time I use it, and yes I use less than premo screens at times, after a flashed underbase that tries to pop or pick up on the next screen or 2. You don't have to cool for color 2 as long.

And sometimes on the last two colors for large spot color jobs wet on wet.

It helps me with pop and pick-up.

You need to blot the pam after spraying with a rag.

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 08:55:36 AM »
ok...i tried this with pam before, and the print sucked1 it bled from the wet pam...

how do you use it so it works?

I tried to blot but then the ink messed up on the back of the screen and then had to clean the back of the screen, just turned into a mess.

Offline killergraphics

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 09:17:07 AM »
Sounds like you spayed to much.

Shake it up well and spray from 2' or so. I use a just touch blot for the bubbles.

Yes the next print will suffer a little...but it is worth it to me to not have to stop and clean and start over.

And yes it is a big difference in silicone spray brands.

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 09:48:45 AM »
I tried this a few times years ago and found that it does work, but within a dozen or so shirts the spray is completely worn away and the screen is like it was before you sprayed.  We had to keep on spraying the screen every round to keep it working and it was a PITA.  If you're in a jam by all means use it to get the job out the door, but don't rely on it.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.