Author Topic: diamondback...  (Read 5221 times)

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
diamondback...
« on: July 14, 2011, 11:18:04 AM »
Is anyone currently running a Diamondback in their shop at the moment?

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: diamondback...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 11:21:41 AM »
Sam at palomar printing (socalmf)

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 11:22:47 AM »
what do you need ROB?

call me

Sam

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 11:32:54 AM »
Hey guys, we would like to see at least a summary of the issue and possible solution so that some day, years down the line, when you guys are hanging out at whatever new place is the forum du jour, someone still says, hey, even with it's antiquated format, there is some great old stuff over at the old TSB if you search!  ;D

Of course, with his meager fifteen sixteen posts here, Sam is holding on to a certain exclusivity.  He hasn't even pounced on Shawn! ;D
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 11:36:20 AM »
Sam's them song.

Blondie-Call Me
"No man is an island"

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 11:46:58 AM »
I run a 6/8. Not a speed demon by any means, but fit my needs very well. I assume you have questions?
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline repogolfer

• !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 04:12:04 PM »
Also run one.  Ask away.

Jon

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 04:22:58 PM »
Mr. Tees....do you wish you had a 6/8 or are you having no problem getting it done with the 6?

Have you needed tech support? if so how would you rate it?

did you buy new or used?

Compressor you have with it?

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 05:25:39 PM »
Hey Whitewater!

...I am kind of a special situation, I am a one-man shop and intended to be from day one. I bought the press new and had it installed in september 2008. I decided six colors was enough because i didnt really want the hassle of printing more colors than that anyway, it wasnt the market I was pursuing. I was also already familiar with the Revolver mode, which I use for most jobs...I print a full cycle of tees, then while the next batch is going around, I stack the ones just printed. I know its an odd businees model, but it works for me. I call in help occasioinally if i get a rush or behind the schedule or whatever, and run the press in a traditional manner in those instances.

...SO, yes for me, six colors was enough. BUT, as anyone else here will testify to, if you plan on growing your company bigger with employees and such, go as big and nice as you can. Remember, with a six-color press, anything more than four colors including an underbase will hafta to go around the press twice at least. There are times when I do wish I had more heads on the press so I could squeeze another flash and cool-down in, but oh well.

...If you go this route, I would suggest getting a flash unit that is free-standing and can be used independant of a print head. I often set my flash unit at the unload station so I can print the full six colors if needed. I had to go with the Serrano because my building doesnt have 3-phase power available, but if you have 3-plase, I would look to a freestanding Quartz flash, ike the RedCHili or the Cayenne.

...I have needed tech support a few times, and they have always been spot on. M&R has the reputation in this area for a reason.  Besides if you care for the machine properly, you will very seldom need it anyway.

...I am assuming you dont need the "make sure your dryer can handle the load" speech. The fastest I have had the press running is 480/HR, and I think thats gonna be close to the max you will get out of this press in terms of speed.

...I sourced my compressor and chiller from Grainger this is the compressor http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/search.shtml?searchQuery=4xa60&op=search&Ntt=4xa60&N=0&sst=subset. I cant find the information on the chiller (its installed is a way I cant see the label), but you can match a chiller to the compressor based on specs. be prepared for about $3k-3500 in this area, before installatiion and plumbing and such.

...as a final note, if I had the means I would go with something more high end, like a Sportsman, if its an option. Servo heads are just more consistent thru long prints, and servo index just moves a lot faster than the index on the Diamondback, which adds to production. Plus they are nice and quiet. I got to see Brandt and Shelly's (Graphic Disorder) Sportsman/Boomerang setup, and i gotta tell ya....JEALOUS!! ;D

...I will put my contact info in my profile, feel free to call me if you want to discuss in real time. Hope this helps!! 
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline whitewater

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 09:03:15 AM »
Mr. Tees...I would like to thank you!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 09:14:35 AM »
Diamondback is a good press.  I think Mr Tee's covered it well.  Having just went through all of this myself.  The Sportsman was just the way to go for me.  I knew I wanted at least a 8/10 and after experiencing Servo Drive/AC Heads I just had to have it and I am thrilled at my choice.  I think the story is all the same, you always wish you got more colors, but over all I haven't hit a job yet I couldn't do on my 8/10, but im sure I will at some point. 

I got to see Brandt and Shelly's (Graphic Disorder) Sportsman/Boomerang setup, and i gotta tell ya....JEALOUS!! ;D

Thanks buddy.  We are a open door, if someone that is wanting to take the Sportsman for a drive, come on by, bring some shirts/screens/art or let me know ahead and maybe we can help you by burning your art here and you can just run your job here and see what its like to use it (time permiting of course). 

There is only a couple people not allowed in my shop and I bet you guys can guess who that is.  LOL.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 10:03:47 AM »
Hey guys, we would like to see at least a summary of the issue and possible solution so that some day, years down the line, when you guys are hanging out at whatever new place is the forum du jour, someone still says, hey, even with it's antiquated format, there is some great old stuff over at the old TSB if you search!  ;D

Of course, with his meager fifteen sixteen posts here, Sam is holding on to a certain exclusivity.  He hasn't even pounced on Shawn! ;D

Come on Frog...you know me....as some of you know, my printer John left in March to move to Florida...well it has been a wild ride.  we have gone through 9 printers trying to replace him...however about 4 weeks ago he moved back and asked for his job back!!!yahoo..It is amazing what people think is acceptable in this industry...

Right now we are also slowing moving our ship ( aka business plan ) in order to take us to the next level of business...as most of you know, I am a good printer, but I am a better business guy...with the help of my mentor and some of you guys from the boards we will make our goal of not being the biggest, but being the most profitable!!!!

and Frog...Shawn is just too easy these days...he just opens the door for you..I do like a little challenge....hahahahahahah

But I have been talking to Rob frequently lately and it is easier to give him STRAIGHT answers when I can ask a few questions before answering a question like that...ie...the press is the easy part..it is all the crap that supports the press is what you have to worry about...like the compressor, chiller, screens, mesh count, ink, winged floodbars, squeegies ( double belveled for white and gold ink) space for 10k shirts ect...the list goes on and on....

so I think I might start posting more....

Sam

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 10:06:10 AM »
...Glad to help, good luck with your purchase!

...Brandt, you know my feelings on that Boomerang, If the time comes for you to upgrade, you better gimme first crack at it!
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 10:10:33 AM »
...Glad to help, good luck with your purchase!

...Brandt, you know my feelings on that Boomerang, If the time comes for you to upgrade, you better gimme first crack at it!

Will do!
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 12:19:13 PM »
Sam, call me.  Hehe, actually I have to call you.  I am losing an employee and I have no idea what to do.  There are so many opportunities that I am not sure what type of a person to hire.