Author Topic: table for a shur-loc stretcher  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Stinkhorn Press

• !!!
table for a shur-loc stretcher
« on: December 12, 2013, 02:23:44 PM »
silly question

I just received some new-to-me Shur-loc frames and stretcher. I don't have a table surface to mount the stretcher to in the shop.
Anyone have any brilliant and cheap table sourcing ideas that are big enough, strong enough, smooth enough? cheap accessible?
I can always build something if need be.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: table for a shur-loc stretcher
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 02:53:58 PM »
We used a "cafeteria" type of table, like you'd see in a high school cafeteria; square, seats 4, 3 to 4 feet diagonal...
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Ryan

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 03:30:32 PM »
i would probably cut a 4x8 sheet of plywood, 3/4", maybe get cabinet grade ($30-40 a sheet) and mount the 2 together for stability. I know there table that they sell is pretty think. I have one but not at my shop anymore so I'm not exactly sure but its probably 1.5" thick. Don't they have directions on their site to build one? they used too, but maybe not anymore

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 03:50:46 PM »
yes, it's at least that thick. We have the whole setup, and it set on the cafeteria style table I described earlier.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Ryan

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 04:02:06 PM »
ahhh table to mount the table on to...got it. I used an art table that was about 3/4 thick

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 04:08:40 PM »
I have two of them, on basic tables we made out of 2x4's. I'll get pics this evening and post. They are in the background of some of the pics I just posted under the DIY section for our new screen room. Like I said I will get some better pics latter, but BASIC is the key word.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 12:41:19 AM »
Here's something for the 'space conscious' - I don't have a lot of space to waste.

My frames are small for newmans - 21 x 23 and the base table is 36 deep and 32 wide made of a double stack of better grade 3/4 plywood.  I set it out from the wall about 9 inches so it naturally leans (very slight) against the wall and is clipped to the shelf with a simple screen door spinner latch so it can't fall.

The legs are 'cheesy' but functional.

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 12:16:22 PM »
Whatever you do, make sure it is perfectly flat.
Crooked frames are not fun when exposing :)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 08:06:40 PM »
I have "risers" for the fronts and can be shimmed up to get the frame to lay flat. 

With "risers" the table itself is not as critical since the frames don't sit on it.
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 09:04:05 AM »
Are you talking about a stretcher for roller frames as mentioned above or to stretch Shur loc E-Z frames.

Rollers as mentioned above.

E-Z frames you just need a small sturdy work bench to mount the holding bar on and rest the stretcher on to get started.

Offline shurloc

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 11:48:18 AM »
Keeping the frame level is the most important thing. If you want to get the best bang for the buck, avoid using plywoods and go with a solid MDF board. Most hardware/lumber stores can order a nice 1" thick semi-flat board that will work great. If you can get a laminate on one side, it will help prevent table wear from sliding frames around and dropping wrenches and such on it. It also makes it easier to clean up once in a while.

As far as using shim material to level frames, it's probably a pretty bad idea as once you set the system up, you should never need to re-level it. Once the hardware is down flat, it should stay that way. if you do get a board that is warping a bit, it's better to have the edges going upward from center than downward. Eventually, over time, the board will flatten out with normal use, but if you start off with the center as the high point, the board will continue to warp in that direction.

You can also pick up some T-Nuts for mounting the bases down to the table that will allow for quick adjustments. You can watch a video on our YouTube channel about building your own table that makes it easy.
Online at: www.shurloc.com - Like Us On Facebook: shurloc.com/Facebook - How To Videos: shurloc.com/YouTube - Follow Us For Updates: shurloc.com/Twitter

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 12:04:39 PM »
Are you talking about a stretcher for roller frames as mentioned above or to stretch Shur loc E-Z frames.

Rollers as mentioned above.

E-Z frames you just need a small sturdy work bench to mount the holding bar on and rest the stretcher on to get started.

Sorry, missed this question.  I use my table to stretch Newman rollers (3 round and 1 square)

And thanks to shurloc for the tips offered.  I may have gone down a slippery path using two pieces of 3/4 quality plywood glued and screwed together, but has not caused any issues yet and since I'm a part-timer, don't stretch them very often.  Time will tell but they have been flat so far.