Author Topic: Art Proofing Process  (Read 5415 times)

Offline Rocfrog

Art Proofing Process
« on: December 23, 2013, 02:03:06 PM »
Wondering what people are using/doing? We currently send the customer an email with the proof attached and the wait for them to replay and if they don't we send out another email, as long as we remember.....

So we are looking at an "on-line" proofing so we can some what "automate" it as far as reminders and follow-ups go. I've found these two, there was a third but I can't remember what it was but if I remember right it worked with one of the major T-Shirt softwares.

http://www.proofhq.com/

http://www.inmotionnow.com/creative_workflow_automation/online_proofing/

Nick

Offline Rocfrog

Re: Art Proofing Process
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 10:17:40 AM »
so no one does proofing....or has any suggestions on the proofing process.....???

Nick

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 10:34:13 AM »
I'd never seen those online services before, interesting.

I never move forward on anything without client approval. When you send your emails, make sure that it states in the message or on the art itself, that the job is on HOLD until the client replies. That alone can convey a sense of urgency and speed the process along. Also state that changes made post-approval are subject to extra charges.

Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 10:55:22 AM »
Never used a online proofing system.  We just email proofs.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline Colin

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Ink and Chemical Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 01:45:05 PM »
We create a mock up with placement, garment type, garment color (using pics of the garment when necessary - a vector representation otherwise), also ink type (waterbase, discharge, plastsisol), ink color (pms, spot, foil, etc) etc.....  We also have a section that just shows the artwork against the garment color background with sizing and location.

We then save as a pdf, email to our customer, and they email back with adjustments or an approval.

We have had issues only a couple times when the customer has no understanding of what pms colors are, that monitors do not display color the same from computer to computer, etc..... standard stuff.  Our staff and owners do an amazing job of walking our customers through the process and explaining garment decorating to them.
Been in the industry since 1996.  5+ years with QCM Inks.  Been a part of shops of all sizes and abilities both as a printer and as an Artist/separator.  I am now the Ink and Chemical Product Manager at Ryonet.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 02:04:46 PM »
Currently using T-Boss.  We load up .jpeg proofs with a pretty realistic mockup of the art on the shirt, print colors/ink types and image size.  You click a button below the invoice and each mocks in a web link to approve.  It needs work overall as a system but the core concept is there and that's the most important thing.

Proof HQ looks sweet, little spendy maybe.

I'm a big advocate of doing anything, I mean anything, that standardizes this process.  Since we implemented online invoice and mockup approvals we have eliminated so many issues with clients missing a date change, etc.  The act of clicking that radio button really changes the atmosphere when it comes to accountability.

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 08:08:36 PM »
We currently build a complete proof with mock up for placement with info box with size and color info and then a top bar with all the details of the job like po# order number quantity and so on. And at the bottom is the huge disclaimer about art work and the proof/print process. So we have all that covered, we are just looking for a way to stream line it and a way to back us up vs digging thru tons of emails to make sure we either sent the proof or the person replied to the proof.

Nick

Offline ericheartsu

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
We do the same thing as Nick. We just hired someone who does more or less this from 10am until noon everyday.
Night Owls
Waterbased screen printing and promo products.
www.nightowlsprint.com 281.741.7285

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 11:45:47 PM »
There has been talk of hiring another person to help in the office, but I think the owners would still like to move into an online proofing system. Might just have to "jump" into one and try it since they don't seem to be a popular option.....

Nick

Offline ravenmark

• Verified/Junior
  • Derek
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 12:24:05 AM »
Checked out a few online proofing services and most send your client an email with a link to what ever you uploaded. To me it just seems like an additional step as well as added cost in the whole process.

Offline dlac

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 10:28:32 AM »
If I have done artr before I do the job.. watermark a jpeg and send it for approval.. if approved system is pretty easy.. put cost in my paypal account and I send vector.. In the jpeg message I mention things like check spelling, check colors, check everything you want to check as long as you pay me.. If there ever is a problem (has happened) I hang in there until it is printed.. Have taken on lot of corrections, not my problem, for free just to keep building customer base.. But I am not printing 500 shirts.. just doing the art..
dlac
Rastor to Vector is my favorite.. disastor is my
specialty and Dots make me crazy...

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 02:09:04 PM »
After we send a proof, nothing goes forward without a reply. They are reviewed daily, if not more often...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 02:35:02 PM »
After all that, consider an in house approval procdure. I have everything signed off with two written signatures and all docs kept on file.

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 04:22:56 PM »
In house is def something to keep in mind, great point as usual Tony.  I approve everything before running, we toss it on a mannequin and check v. the mockups. We'll keep repeat samples on file after that.  Gets tedious some days doing approvals and seems redundant or unnecessary when you have a good lead printer but it's worth it.  One major goof is all it takes.  It also keeps you in touch with how jobs are running, what could be improved, etc.

Offline Rocfrog

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 04:17:24 PM »
We have an "in-house" proofing system and that seems to work very well, (when Used)....But we are looking at this online proofing to make the customer more responsible for their stuff vs them putting it on us for not sending the email or what have you.

I have been playing with ProofStuff today and it is the one we looked into a few months back, it's integrated with Shopworks, but we don't use that program but they offer ProofStuff as a stand alone....

Nick