Author Topic: How often do you check tension?  (Read 4427 times)

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: How often do you check tension?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 09:27:57 PM »
Ok, let me be clearer, lol. 

My tape is on the bottom, the side that would be up when retensioning.  My tape is in the way of the bolts.  So how do u guys cover for protection and still have access to the bolts? 

Unless........in my case, I have been fully covering the bottom including the corners.  Am I overworking the protection????
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 09:35:48 PM »
Perhaps the best way would be if people showed pictures of their screens?

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 10:52:57 PM »
Fair enough. 

Note where the wrenches are sitting on the bottom picture. 

That's where the bolts would be grabbed but are covered up with tape.

Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2013, 11:32:36 PM »
I'm not at my office but that's a lot more than we do. I typically tape to where it's just dipping down into the area where newman's large wrench that has an m3 side and an mzx side would fit in/where the newman table pneumatic clamps grab. However, last time I was tensioning two weeks ago which was the first time in a while - just can't keep up with things - I tore the tape back to just before that dip (and will tape screens like this in the future) to where I won't have to even touch the tape to re-tension on the table. Just have to make sure, obviously, that the corners are still soft enough for 3-7 more newtons, which is what I was trying to add a couple of weeks ago. 

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 12:09:24 AM »
Yeah that screen is ready for outer space~
We tape with white Polyken up to where corner softening starts.
Really only needed where screen is tensioned, otherwise
softened mesh won't rip, no pull there. It will also not stick very good on loose mesh
when power washed.
Enough corner softening will leave room for successive rolling without loosening tape.

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 12:19:23 AM »
Well..................

So much for taking the tips from Bill..............U know who.....lol.

Thanks guys.

Offline Gilligan

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 01:07:29 PM »
Hey Wayne, that screen looks great!  Don't let them tell you different. ;)

Bullet proof but great. Lol

Offline sweetts

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication DUH
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 01:29:56 PM »
I think I need more tape

Roger
RT screen designs
Www.rtscreendesigns. Com
RT Screen Designs
Willowick Ohio
www.rtscreendesigns.com

Offline brandon

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2013, 10:40:46 PM »
So as I was checking off our screens today I realized I should have given more info about my post. When I say after every job yes, that is how it happens at my shop anyway. (It works for me, not every shop I realize that) The reason why besides the technical issues is it builds into people the constant reinforcement of making sure everything is done the same way and standardizing everything.

A. Screens need to be flat

B. While the screen does not have to 100% exact dead on tension every single time it needs to be in our expected ballpark. I have heard former employees and other printers tell me things like "it's good enough" or "let me bounce a quarter off it" or other stupid crap and then they wonder why things are being triple and quadruple stroked. Or running at 110 PSI.

I have nothing against shops that use statics as they yield amazing prints as well. But I know they stretch and glue their own. Maybe it has been a long time for me and in another city but I could not get the tension or the mesh counts I wanted so I gave up and after being able to control these variables I never looked back.

And I swear the more I make people do these sorts of things they understand the reasons for standardizing instead of just hoping it works. Drives me crazy!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 10:44:34 PM by brandon »

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2013, 12:25:04 AM »
Hey Wayne, that screen looks great!  Don't let them tell you different. ;)

Bullet proof but great. Lol

LOL, like I said, so much for following tips from that Bill guy (at least not for taping). 

From now on, I'll skip taping the corners so I can re-tension if needed.