Author Topic: 4800 Film output question  (Read 1233 times)

Offline chubsetc

4800 Film output question
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:18:05 PM »
I picked up a used Epson 4800 a while back and use it for color transfers but would like to move from printing my films on a 1400 to using the 4800.  Can I put my dye black for films in one of the light black slots and still retain the color printer properties to print transfers or do I need to convert the 4800 to a film printer only?  It's not a problem to make it a film only printer, just trying to kill 2 birds with one stone if possible.  Thanks.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: 4800 Film output question
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 02:48:34 PM »
We printed films with just the black on a 4800 for pretty much the reason you are taking about. In the end we never used the color part again, we ended up not doing Abby color prints on that printer anymore and just the 17" roll of film in it. When we got the 4900 I switched that to all black right away. In hind sight I wish I would of switched the 4800 to all black also, it just prints much quicker.

But by all means it will print films with just the one channel.
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 03:23:36 PM »
Without some kind of good flush, isn't there a potential for clogs with the switch to dye from pigment? (assuming that chubs is using the pigment inks preferred for transfers)
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 03:29:17 PM »
You can get a program that will let you flush a individual channel on the 48xx series, do that switch over should be a snap!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 09:42:25 PM »
I picked up a used Epson 4800 a while back and use it for color transfers but would like to move from printing my films on a 1400 to using the 4800.  Can I put my dye black for films in one of the light black slots and still retain the color printer properties to print transfers or do I need to convert the 4800 to a film printer only?  It's not a problem to make it a film only printer, just trying to kill 2 birds with one stone if possible.  Thanks.
I would not do that. It will clog your heads sooner then later.

Offline chubsetc

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 05:00:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies, i will move forward using it as a film only printer.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 05:04:21 PM »
I know some ppl use them for dye sub and films at the same time, so it can be done. PM Alan as he used to do it (IIRC).

the FM4 supposedly has a new function that supports something like that.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 07:53:11 PM »
MultiRip is made to do this - print dye sub and output films.  It pops up used sometimes.

That reminds me I need to call the FM folks about the dye sub options, thx Pierre.