Author Topic: Well, How's the Show? ISS Long Beach  (Read 16879 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Re: Well, How's the Show? ISS Long Beach
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 02:07:25 AM »
Kind of surprised to see Custom Ink wih a both looking for contract printers

That is strange. Why would they need a booth. They could just call screen printers in the areas they want to have contract printers.

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 02:30:53 AM »

That is strange. Why would they need a booth. They could just call screen printers in the areas they want to have contract printers.

I've heard nightmare stories about printing for them. Maybe they burned through enough printers and are looking for new printers?
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 02:55:42 AM »

I've heard nightmare stories about printing for them. Maybe they burned through enough printers and are looking for new printers?

I was thinking the same thing. Like maybe they got tired of getting hung up on and wanted screen printers to come to them.

Offline mraph

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 03:36:42 PM »
The workhorse saber is exciting
Electric index, ac heads,
The control panel is windows based
Free upgrades on the control panel
20x20 print area, real good pricing
If you would like more info please email, call or send me a private message.

Was great seeing everyone

Alan Howe
Techsupport sps
Www.techsupportsps.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan Howe
Saati Chem a Division of Saati America
AHowe@Saati.com

Offline inkbrigade

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 06:29:03 PM »
Spent some more time with the M&r ste. I was under the impression the two head, if one went down you could use it as a one head. That is NOT the case. Getting a two head makes is faster only. It's not for redundancy.
Apparently the exposure bar you can change the timing for thicker stencils. So if your doing a cap film or something you run it slower under the exposure bar. M&R has a excel file listing suggested exposure times with different emulsions and mesh counts. So that would be a good starting point.
Overall I'm really impressed with the system.
-------------------------------
Wish List / Let me know if your selling any of the following:  Newman (Stretch Devices) Orange Screen Racks and Press Carts
Saturn Screen Racks / Press Cart

Offline nobrainsd

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 01:19:07 AM »
First off I would like to thank Mr. Hoffman for sponsoring the TSB dinner. While I would be happy to pay for my dinner I appreciate all M&R does to help create such a cool scene for us at Long Beach. The opportunity to meet and speak with fellow printers is invaluable. I always walk away with a new technique or equipment tip. I cannot express my gratitude enough. I know that a free meal does help make the moment. I think I learned something... what could be better?

I too am one of those who, as a smaller shop, keeps looking at all electric presses. The Sabre was very interesting. It does require air. I believe the rep was talking 3 cfm. Much lower and much more manageable than some other presses. I am a small shop and that sort of air requirement is much more applicable to my situation. But air is still a requirement. Not necessarily something to put a small shop off, but not quite air free. The rep said the demo press had run through the equivalent of a million impressions. Some of those were run with a small pancake compressor. Interesting. While I have no desire to run a press on a compressor like that it is an intriguing concept. Less cfm, but a solid looking machine .

Part of what's so cool about hitting a show is all the diversity of presses you will see. Yes, there were a lot of sublimation and embroidery booths. But most of the major players in screen printing were showing off their wares. Anatol has the Volt. Which is all electric. Interesting drive on the lift. An eccentric gear drive. Quiet too. Yo, dudes (anatol). Make me feel a little more comfortable with support and parts and you could own the niche!

Of course I kept cycling by the M&R booth. The Diamondback is just a sweet machine. Where are the rotary screw compressor manufacturers at the show? I keep hitting Craigslist but I'm not seeing what I need nor the Mattei vane compressor that JBlue recommends...  :) Dang. With what I want from M&R it's a commercial space or nothing. I'm such a wimp. Ooooh. I want to step up.  I should step up? Either that or dig a small compressor pit in my backyard :)

The item that struck me the most wasn't on the floor. I don't even f with foil anymore. But S Roque has a hands free foil station in their catalogue. whoa. After my heat press experience and some of the comments posted I really want to see some video of this running. Automatic foil application. Not in my realm, but waaay intriguing. Who has one? Let's see it.

What can I say. My screen printing life has gone up and down. But still, hitting Long Beach is always inspiring. There is always something new and all of the large garment distributors are represented. Who knows? You might even meet Senor Frog. What could be better?

Thank you to all and to all a good night.

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 12:45:14 PM »

Bingo!!

The shows are flooded with newbies that have no idea just how bad it is to print for them.

The show was awesome this year!!

Great to see old friends and meet some new faces.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 03:33:46 PM »

Bingo!!

The shows are flooded with newbies that have no idea just how bad it is to print for them.

The show was awesome this year!!

Great to see old friends and meet some new faces.

LOL. After I left you on Sunday John I went by there and looked. They were looking for new blood. Asked me about the shop and its capabilities. I had to block my badge like you did so they would not scan it.....lol

What was fun was drinking with everyone from the boards. Sam made it out from back east and Kel made it up from SD (yes we got hammered together again). As usual always fun BS'ing with Brian and Megan. It is nice hanging and talking shop with people that have a good business attitude.

www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2014, 08:34:14 PM »
I had to block my badge like you did so they would not scan it.....lol

That's one reason I usually use a fake name, you know , like Lou Stules. They act like they know you and call you Lou. And when they call the shop trying to reach you...the PA page raises eyebrows too
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 09:04:33 PM »
It was a great show. Had a nice time putting names to faces, connecting with friends, making new, looking at all the great new equipment and products. Even got Megan to buy some stuff for the shop. Sat in some great classes and enjoyed talking with others and their experiences. Lastly thanks to all the vendors and reps who took the time to show products and how they worked.

As always a huge thank you to Rich for Friday's diner.

Jblue, were you able to try the Diazo on Sunday?

Only bummer was the 30 hours it took to get home with broken planes (I would have chanced it) and missed connections.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:07:15 PM by Binkspot »

Offline mraph

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 09:13:15 PM »
It was great seeing everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan Howe
Saati Chem a Division of Saati America
AHowe@Saati.com

Offline JBLUE

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
It was a great show. Had a nice time putting names to faces, connecting with friends, making new, looking at all the great new equipment and products. Even got Megan to buy some stuff for the shop. Sat in some great classes and enjoyed talking with others and their experiences. Lastly thanks to all the vendors and reps who took the time to show products and how they worked.

As always a huge thank you to Rich for Friday's diner.

Jblue, were you able to try the Diazo on Sunday?

Only bummer was the 30 hours it took to get home with broken planes (I would have chanced it) and missed connections.

No. They forgot to coat a screen with a diazo emulsion. He took the film and when he gets back to Chicago he is going to burn it and send me either the screen or some pics with a loop. It does show some real promise on getting out what we were looking for if they use a diazo emulsion. I will let you know when I get my hands on the results.
www.inkwerksspd.com

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid...... Ben Franklin

Offline Parker 1

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2014, 11:10:56 AM »
I would like to thank Mr. Hoffman for the dinner and the opportunity to converse with like minded individuals in our industry.  Great show with a lot to see and learn, I'm still trying to digest everything.  Great meeting everyone and look forward to seeing you in the future. 

Chris

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2014, 11:20:32 AM »
Like all, thank you Mr. Hoffman for a great dinner! 

Yes I will be putting together a dinner as well for the east cost peeps! 

Seeing old friends and making new ones is always a great pleasure for me and I look forward to ISS AC.

thanks all.

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2014, 11:53:16 AM »
It was a good time. I sure couldn't complain about that weather as I left my house today to return to work the thermometer read -18.... :o

Good time B.S.ing with everyone and putting faces to names! Not sure if you guys do it, but I kinda have "pictures" of what everyone looks like in my head if I haven't seen or met them. Ya, turns out they are NOTHING like reality. The farthest one off I think was Parker1- that late 50's skinny balding guy I made up turns out to be a solid 30's guy with a beard! ;D Binkspot Brian turned out to be quite different than I had pictured also, and quite the ball buster!
Have to say my High/Low point was being at the corner of the table with Greg Kitson, Pierre(Bluemoon) and Mark Coudray. To put it nicely, the conversation was intense! Oh, ya then throw in Socalfmf and jsheridan, lets just say I felt like I had been running the "class store" back in 2nd grade selling pencils!!! ;D It is one thing to have a smooth running shop but when all those guys started talking, I started questioning if I should start selling my equipment out individually or the "business" as a whole! I have a LOT of work to do before I can consider us smooth running after hearing a lot of the conversations!

Seriously though it was a great time, found myself saying a few times "stop me if I am talking about printing too much" only to realize I was surrounded by people talking the same thing!

Great time! Mr. Hoffman, thank you for the dinner!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com