Author Topic: Hand written student names inside '2014' template....  (Read 3972 times)

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Hand written student names inside '2014' template....
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 10:05:44 PM »
We just did this one for a school, and I had them sign there names on a blank sheet of typing paper in black ink...scan and placed each name no problem.

Darryl

Very nice!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline Squeegie

• !!!
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 09:13:51 AM »
The question would be if you gave them the template and they filled it, or did individually place the names?

Sorry...forgot to add that info.

We printed a pc of paper with the template on it.  Scanned and adjusted in PS and placed it in the file.
Easy peasy!

Offline Boldline

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 01:17:47 AM »
If you are looking to do computer font names, I would create a text box in the shape of the larger number/letter and then paste the names in using the "area type tool". If you are going the handwritten route, I always printed out the number/letter template out at full size on regular paper and asked them not to let the names touch the edges as they wrote. Then I'd scan the signed paper into photoshop and move names around via cut and paste to be sure they all fit evenly. Then I'd export it as a bitmap file at 800 pixels/inch using the 50% Threshold method. Save it as a bitmap file and place it into Illustrator and scale and color it as necessary. Only downside to bitmap solution is that names cannot be adjusted individually in the bitmap... it would require going back to the photoshop file and editing it there and then reproducing the edited bitmap. Hope that helps!
Mat Woodworth
Bold Line Design
www.boldlinedesign.com
twitter: @boldlinedesign
facebook: www.facebook.com/boldlinedesignllc

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 06:41:06 AM »
we do not do a lot of these but one tip that may help is to template up the design on paper like many have said BUT use photo quality paper, ( we have a pack of Epson photo paper) the paper allows for deep color and super crisp sharpie stains that look like doctor's signatures.

mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 12:00:39 PM »
We also use a higher quality paper, it just looks better.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Boldline

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2014, 10:15:54 AM »
One of the best reasons to go this route instead of typing in names or copying in a list of names from the client is that if a name is missing or misspelled, its not your fault as the designer/printer! They chose to write it as they did! - I do remember though often having to go in and open up closed letters at times because I knew they'd fill in when printed and the customer would notice and complain!

Mat Woodworth
www.boldlinedesign.com

Mat Woodworth
Bold Line Design
www.boldlinedesign.com
twitter: @boldlinedesign
facebook: www.facebook.com/boldlinedesignllc

Offline Grumpy Ole Artist

• Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 01:46:59 PM »
We do a lot of them...we are a "vellum" shop...I provide client a stapled sandwich consisting of an 11"x17" piece of vellum pack backer cardboard, a grayscale copy of art at final size, and blank vellum on top for the kids to sign. used to provide scrapbooking lightsafe pens, (nice even Black signatures) got sick of them not coming back, or ruined if they did...Client can use what ever they want..I tell them to use a sharpie...Instruct to sign inside design...Scan into p-shop at (at least) 400 lpi...Any signatures that are obviously too light to work properly, I will usually take my "burn" tool, and darken them up...If too small to hold detail, I will cut/paste/scale as needed...make B/W tiff...no need to trace...pop into Corel, scale, and, voila!
Humor is the unexpected juxtaposition of incongruities.