Author Topic: separation software which one?  (Read 7723 times)

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
Re: separation software which one?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 12:25:54 PM »
With regards to tuts look around for the book "Photoshop for Screenprinters" might be out of print but used ones show up occaisionally.

I've got a copy of that book, but to paraphrase our esteemed House Minority Leader, "You've got to read it to find out what's in it."
Therein lies the rub.  :P

As I said, I've read tuts and articles (and this book a little) but getting really good stuff will take a practiced hand, and most books or articles will state that getting good takes time, patience, and persistence. Not as easy as it's sometimes portrayed, much like screenprinting itself.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 12:28:59 PM »
@ tpitman

Never apologies for along lost.  Thats a lot of free and good information. It didn't cost anyone anything extra.  Very good info and I encourage others to make as long of a post that they feel needed to get the message across. Maybe not 3 pages. HA! If so, we can look at it for a potential article. ")
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 12:38:37 PM »
@ tpitman

Never apologies for along lost.  Thats a lot of free and good information. It didn't cost anyone anything extra.  Very good info and I encourage others to make as long of a post that they feel needed to get the message across. Maybe not 3 pages. HA! If so, we can look at it for a potential article. ")

Blame Andy. He's seen enough of my "monologues" by now that he probably was wishing he hadn't hit the "post" button after typing his suggestion for a review. Considering his reasoning for the request, though, he can say the "devil" made him do it.

Offline Shawn (EIP)

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 02:39:25 PM »
I think I'm back to where I started lol! The main reason why I never bought a program, not sure if im throwing away money or not...

Typically I'll wait until I need something 3 times before I purchase it, borrow it from another shop first and second time ;D.  Too bad it doesn't work that way with software though... Which another questions comes to mind. If I were to buy Quikseps or Easyart how many DL's do I get? Thinking about splitting the cost with another shop.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 02:42:05 PM by endless ink printing »

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 03:11:47 PM »
You're given a number with QuikSeps Pro. I can't remember if I had to register it to use it. No dongles. Works on Macs and PeeCees (it's a set of Photoshop actions).
Why don't you try the free trials? Make up a few quick jobs between smokes and run 'em out, slap 'em on your press and see what you think?
I bought the original QuikSeps off eBay for $150 when Steve was getting going. Steve made the upgrade to QuikSeps Pro fairly generous in terms of cost, so I bit. This upcoming version might not find me so eager. One thing I wish I knew how to do is stochastic 4-color process, and I'd mentioned this to him in a thread when he was asking for suggestions for the next version. If the new version had that, and the upgrade cost was reasonable, I might bite, but otherwise I probably won't. From what I'd seen an upgrade won't be cheap, and while I can see spending it on the Adobe Suite, I'm not so sure about a program which might be minimally different from the version I have and is very narrowly focused.

Offline Artelf2xs

•  Celebrating 29 years in the industry
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 03:28:32 PM »
What? no mention of Wilflex easy art?
Pretty much they are all just recorded action in Photoshop you can create yourself.... With the exception of Separation studio, freehand graphs at the link above softwareforscreenprinters.com which is a stand a lone program.

I'f go with Dot tone Dan, But I think it quit working on the Mac platform :-P

really Like tpitman said, it's usuing a set applied rulles that just can wotk on every image... even the best ones need to be adjusted, and if you know enough to do that you know enough to just sep them or record your own actions.
Lif'e too short to complain about stuff ( Like typos)

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 03:54:10 PM »
really Like tpitman said, it's usuing a set applied rulles that just can wotk on every image... even the best ones need to be adjusted, and if you know enough to do that you know enough to just sep them or record your own actions.

You obviously haven't seen the ones I've tried doing from scratch. It wasn't pretty.   :P

Offline sportsshoppe

• !!!
  • A way of life.
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 04:27:51 PM »
I have not had the pleasure of Dan seping one for me yet but not to knock his price or his talent.( because that is undisputed )...But for my seps in my little town I use QS's and I really like Simple Seps from Advanced Artist along with several of his programs. He is a Corel guy and for my business 90% of the time that is what I use. So I guess I am saying it is according to your customer needs. I saw one of P's shirts he did from Dan's seps and it was amazing the detail but then again that is P's needs.... So Ya got a choice I guess. Good Luck

Offline Shanarchy

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 05:38:29 PM »
I bought a copy of QuickSeps about 8 months ago. I honestly haven't had a chance to mess around with it. I have used Steve (Sbrem) to sep a job for me and had someone else do a redraw for me a couple of times on some really crappy jpgs that illustrtator trace could not help. I would like to learn how to utilize quickseps and see what it's realistic "quick" abilities are. I think that no matter what, you will be better off with someone who knows their stuff doing the high end stuff. I plan to try out Dan at some point as well (most of my jobs are basic and don't require much). I met Pierre in AC this year and from the stuff he was telling me about working with Dan it really sounds like it can help to up your game.

I don't think quickseps allows a free trial, but T-Seps does. http://t-biznetwork.com/t-seps/nsp/ They are both a lot alike. I don't off hand remember why I chose quickseps over t-seps. I think it may have been on sale, But either way, sample it and see if you feel like it would be a worthwile addition for you.