Author Topic: DIY Squeege sharpener  (Read 5040 times)

Offline ScreenPrinter123

DIY Squeege sharpener
« on: February 18, 2014, 04:56:51 PM »
The squeegee sharpener is built using the variable rpm mtor in the Inland GTO which I purchased from http://www.ameriglasco.com/Stained-Glass-Grinders-Diamond-Saws/Inland-Stained-Glass-Grinder.shtml for $82.75.

The motor is easily removed from the Inland GTO and can be mounted to whatever flat surface you would like, we had a scrap piece of counter top that I used.

For grinding bits I have found it easiest to remove irregularities from the squeegee with the 1” 80 grit Grinder Head (TL-322).  Then I use a 1” 120 grit Grinder Head (TL-312) to give the squeegee a nice sharp edge.  Both bits can be found at http://www.ameriglasco.com/Stained-Glass-Grinders-Diamond-Saws/Inland-Stained-Glass-Grinder-Heads.shtml for $28.95 and $24.95.

I clamp the squeegee to a piece of aluminum angle and used a clamp guide and piece of flat iron as a guide for the squeegee to run along.  A little WD-40 and it slides very smoothly, which is vital because running the blade slowly and smoothly is key to getting the best edge on the blade.

It has performed better than I was expecting for a cheap diy option and I am sure will perform even better after some more trial and error with the setting of the motor speed.

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

Re: DIY Squeege sharpener
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 05:00:29 PM »
only good for auto squeege set ups?
Mark

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 05:17:17 PM »
You would have to find a way to clamp the squeegee so that it is securely held perpendicular to the grinding bit.  M&R style auto squeegee holders can butt into the corner of the aluminum angle which is why I set it up the way I did.  I could see how the standard wooden handle manual squeegees would present some difficulty with this kind of sharpener though I am sure one could figure out a way to make it work with some thought and trial and error.

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 05:58:50 PM »
You would just have to make a jig of some kind that your handle would fit into so the blade was at a 90 degree angle from the surface you are sliding across.  Wouldnt be too hard or time consuming to make.  Then you just set the jig with squeegee next to the blade, butt the guide up to the jig, and clamp one side of your guide, remove the jig/squeegee, push the other side of your guide a tiny bit toward the bit and you're ready to go.  insert jig and push.

I may make one of these as soon as I finish the second have of my shop expansion and have enough room.

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 06:18:27 PM »
I've got one that basically works on the same principle, you might be interested in seeing the adjustable fence, it's pretty simple.

I swear that my american (m&r style) auto squeegees lay flat without a jig as do my plain wooden manual squeegees. I haven't used it yet since it needs a new wheel, but they're only 20 bones so i should get on that..

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 06:43:31 PM »
I have four kinds of manual squeegees.  One of the wooden types will lay flat and the ergo ones lay flat on the black side, but one of the wooden kind is fatter where you grab than by the rubber and i have a single weird metal one that is all kinds of messed up shape-wise.

Offline ScreenPrinter123

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 06:52:34 PM »
I've got one that basically works on the same principle, you might be interested in seeing the adjustable fence, it's pretty simple.

I swear that my american (m&r style) auto squeegees lay flat without a jig as do my plain wooden manual squeegees. I haven't used it yet since it needs a new wheel, but they're only 20 bones so i should get on that..
I'd be interested to see the fence any other suggestions to make thus better...I've never seen a commercial sharpener in person.

Offline StuJohnston

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 07:48:54 PM »

I'd be interested to see the fence any other suggestions to make thus better...I've never seen a commercial sharpener in person.

I need to clean it off, the desire hasn't been there because the wheel is dull, but now that I figured out that I can use glass grinding wheels I better get to it.

As you can see; at the top, there are holes to place one end of the fence to make major adjustments and then theres a threaded rod to make minor adjustments.

As for how the M&R style holders fit

The carriage bolts basically keep it level, but it would probably be in my interest to make a jig.

This is my favorite holder, this is a thieme style squeegee.