Author Topic: Permanent Block -Out on Shur-Loc panels  (Read 2761 times)

Offline BorisB

Permanent Block -Out on Shur-Loc panels
« on: July 28, 2011, 08:23:27 AM »
Has anyone tried to protect Shur-Loc with permanent block out like Estelan from Kiwo before mounting?

Something like painting an inch of width of mesh all around?

I attached a drawing showing what I mean.

Most of our panels get damaged in area where they touch roller frame. Tears in printing area are way less frequent.

Boris
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:07:18 AM by Frog »

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
Re: Permanent Block -Out on Shur-Loc panels
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 09:03:36 AM »
I'm not sure if I'd want to do it before mounting/stretching. Might this affect even tensioning? Testing would answer that
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline BorisB

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 09:10:32 AM »
yes testing.  I will test it. 

On average you stretch mesh for about 5%. Might be needed to test the amount of hardener added to lacquer , as impacts elasticity.

Offline shurloc

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 07:02:58 PM »
Hey guys, I'll try and get the best answer I can for this, but honestly the exposed edge of the frame is where 95% of the breakage occurs.

Pre-coating the mesh will create more issues than other methods of protection. Roller frame protectors can eliminate much of the edge breakage, but they still require a bit of care in handling.

If you want to try the coating technique, Jim had a few tips. Make sure the coating is even. If the coating isn't perfectly even, you would have high and low spots, tensions will become uneven and you will lose some of the trampoline effect of the mesh. A better move to help even the coating would be to place something like a wax paper under the edge - around the roller - and stretch the fabric. Then apply the coating to the mesh over the wax paper so it doesn't stick to the frame. This should allow full penetration of the mesh without impacting the final tension or performance.

You will still have the problem of retensioning the mesh and the lacquer becoming too hard to flex with the tube, but it seems like placing a non stick surface between the tensioned fabric and the coating would be the only way to do it. If you test it out, let us know how it works for you.
Online at: www.shurloc.com - Like Us On Facebook: shurloc.com/Facebook - How To Videos: shurloc.com/YouTube - Follow Us For Updates: shurloc.com/Twitter

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 07:48:33 PM »
Just stick with Polyken or Newman tape?
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 10:29:24 AM »
I've been mulling over a newman yellow tape/liquid tape combo. 

Try a newman or polyken tape "sandwich on the print and squeegee side to make a permanent ink dam then run the liquid tape out a half inch or so from the tape.  This will let you coat without having to ride over the tape, assuming the liquid tape is thin enough to get away with this.

Also, it's a pain but use the plastic fabric protectors, they work well.