Author Topic: Curing  (Read 3219 times)

Offline prozyan

Re: Curing
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 05:50:58 PM »
Its like BBQing low and slow the meat is not done until the center of the meat is 160 degrees. The out side of the prize cut of brisket was at 160 degrees hours before the center.

145-150 is a better temp to shoot for.  Then it will raise to 160 while resting and be more moist.

Who cares about ink when BBQ has been mentioned?
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 06:15:21 PM »
Its like BBQing low and slow the meat is not done until the center of the meat is 160 degrees. The out side of the prize cut of brisket was at 160 degrees hours before the center.

145-150 is a better temp to shoot for.  Then it will raise to 160 while resting and be more moist.

Who cares about ink when BBQ has been mentioned?

Thats good info to know. Is that just for brisket or all slow cooking?

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 06:28:28 PM »
no worries.  I have actually made money a few times just from properly curing other printers work.  It's how I've gotten and kept a few of my clients actually.  They washed one shirt, all the ink flaked off, they call me and I tell them I can likely fix it, and bam: grateful new customer.

I never tell people a temperature beyond saying it "likely" has to get to 330, but more importantly always wash test (as everyone has mentioned).  Honestly the test that is the quickest and easiest and has yet to fail me, and is something a client can do when they pick up the shirts, is a stretch test.  If the ink can stretch without cracking it is most likely properly cured and adhered to the shirt.  If it cracks, it may still pass the first wash test but will wear much more quickly.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 06:50:58 PM »
no worries.  I have actually made money a few times just from properly curing other printers work.  It's how I've gotten and kept a few of my clients actually.  They washed one shirt, all the ink flaked off, they call me and I tell them I can likely fix it, and bam: grateful new customer.

I never tell people a temperature beyond saying it "likely" has to get to 330, but more importantly always wash test (as everyone has mentioned).  Honestly the test that is the quickest and easiest and has yet to fail me, and is something a client can do when they pick up the shirts, is a stretch test.  If the ink can stretch without cracking it is most likely properly cured and adhered to the shirt.  If it cracks, it may still pass the first wash test but will wear much more quickly.

I have ran others printers shirts though my dryer after a client told me that they were under cured. Funny how they react when you tell them you can still fix them if they haven't washed them yet. Just did it to be nice. They are a life time client now. I have another client that tells people that my shirts last forever. He has referred at least 10 people to me in the last year that had shirts done by another screen printer that washed out.

Offline prozyan

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2014, 01:13:22 AM »
Thats good info to know. Is that just for brisket or all slow cooking?

All slow cooking in general, though different meats and cuts will raise temperature differently while resting.  A bone in ham, for instance, can rise as much as 20 degrees internally while resting.

For a brisket, I like to smoke it to 140, then wrap it heavily with foil and toss it in a cooler for about three hours.
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2014, 11:23:05 AM »
I think this can best be understood with the following definition of tee shirt cure

Full tee shirt cure :
a measure of the unavailable energy in a closed thermodynamic system that is also usually considered to be a measure of the system's disorder, that is a property of the system's state, and that varies directly with any reversible change in heat in the system and inversely with the temperature of the system; broadly :  the degree of disorder or uncertainty in a system

now you know
mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.

Offline GaryG

• !!!
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2014, 02:44:46 PM »
Taking those "on line" courses again Moosman?  :o

Offline mooseman

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 03:18:56 PM »
Taking those "on line" courses again Moosman?  :o
Naw, More like Quaaludes, Black Sabbath plated backwards on 78 speed.
 I suggest Fairies Wear Boots............. man it is unreal the stuff you will see :P

mooseman
DUE TO CIRCUMSTANCES COMPLETELY WITHIN MY CONTROL YOU SHOULD GET YOUR OWN TEE SHIRT AND A SHARPIE MARKER BY NOON TOMORROW OR SIMPLY CALL SOMEONE WHO GIVES A SHIRT.