Author Topic: Well water and septic service  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Binkspot

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Well water and septic service
« on: August 06, 2011, 05:43:48 AM »
Is there any special considerations someone should take if your shop is using well water or septic system?
Will hard water effect the emulsion?
Will normal cleaning chemicals kill the septic system?

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
Re: Well water and septic service
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 10:20:13 AM »
As someone who has paid for a new leachfield, although not from screenprinting, I'd take every precaution to keep that system clear. When I was looking for a space to move my shop, I came in contact with the local arm of the EPA, which informed me that nothing was to be put down a drain connected to a septic system that was not meant for household use. They said I could not connect any kind of "service sink" to a septic system, regardless of how careful I might be, to keep the chemistry out of the groundwater. Your locality may vary. I recall a post somewhere by someone whose "governing authority" permitted them to output into a ditch.
If it were me, aside from assiduously cleaning the ink out of my screens and stuffing my sink drain holes with filter media (which I do anyway) I'd put a tub under my sink as a "settling tank" with a cheap submersible pump raised up off the bottom to allow as much of the "solids" to settle before pumping to my septic system, then get my septic tank cleaned every year or so depending on usage. Alternately, buy one of those not-inexpensive filtering systems. And only use biodegradable chemistry, regardless. Even at the shop I leased which was on a sewer, they allowed me to put in a washout sink in one of the bathrooms, but cautioned me that plumbing problems would be on my dime.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline dsh

Re: Well water and septic service
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 03:29:12 PM »
When I first started printing my building had a septic tank.  I caught all the water from the cleanout booth and ran it through a friends city sewer drain.  I talked with a rep from CCI and he told me even if someone claims it is septic safe, don't believe it.  He knew of an established screen printer that just got booted out of his rental building because he completely ruined the drain field. 
I have not noticed a difference in the well water in the building had before or the city water I have now.