Author Topic: Zelco??  (Read 2640 times)

Offline Mr Tees!!

Zelco??
« on: March 09, 2014, 10:50:22 AM »
I've been around since the early 90's, but here's a press I've never heard of before. Anyone know the story or anything? Just curious!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZELCO-automatic-screen-printing-press-/191094920886?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c7e2516b6
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Action1

Re: Zelco??
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 11:15:38 AM »
Hi Sean:

Here's what I can remember about Zelco. They were made in Canada. There were some top printing companies that had these machines for many years. We made pallets for them on many occasions. The last order was probably 3-4 years ago for them. I believe they went out of business in the late 90's, early 2000's (??) . The lack of support for these machines would make them a poor investment.

It's ironic that this would come up, because it's very similar to something we are going through here. We have two of our CNC machining centers which we are replacing. The reason for this is that the company which originally made them has been gone for over 10 years. The service is almost down to nothing or having to beg for help from who's ever left to help. Your business runs by machinery and can only produce reliably with reliable machinery. I wish we could keep these two machines here, but we just can't afford to have our business rely on them, and we don't have unlimited floor space. If you were in need of a machine and had $10K to spare - use it as a down payment on a new machine - just my 2 cents.   Having said all that - I'm damn excited about getting in our two new Haas machines in the next couple of weeks. And - as for the other machines - we're scrapping them. The amount of money that we can get for them if we sell them isn't worth the hassle. Additionally - I don't want us to have take phone calls about them after we loose money selling them. So - From my experience - buy good, new reliable machinery. Or if buying used - Buy machines from a company that is still in business. There's a reason for that.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 11:25:43 AM »
It's Zelko with a "K", and we even have a member here who jokingly uses it in his screen name.

The Zelko presses got a little mention here in this thread from about a year ago.
http://www.theshirtboard.com/index.php/topic,7004.msg71946.html#msg71946
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 11:59:19 AM »
From the "probably more than we need" department,
Fans of Linkedin, who really want some technical background may be able to contact this guy, the former team leader of hardware design there!

http://ca.linkedin.com/in/olegseiljus
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 06:17:45 PM by Frog »

Offline chubsetc

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 05:56:36 PM »
Having said all that - I'm damn excited about getting in our two new Haas machines in the next couple of weeks.

One of my best friends is a Field Service Tech for HAAS.  His customers love him and continue to purchase from HAAS because of his commitment to their success and knowledge about their equipment.  One of his good friends is a tech for Jefferys MFG, is that who you purchased from?

Offline Mr Tees!!

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 08:28:10 PM »
So it is ZelKo, not ZelCo. The fact that the the seller got this wrong in the item description should stand as a red flag (among other things).

For the record, I wasn't showing interest in this myself (nearly all Blue at this stage of the game). In fact, I hope to be chasing Brandt's tail by the end of 2015 or so. Maybe a G3?...:)

I guess I have just always had an interest in equipment, and its rare when I see something I'm not familiar with.

Ebay can be fun in this regard. I also saw a manual press for sale under the manufacturer name MIRACLE....anyone heard of that one?
Thanks TSB gang!!

...Sean, Mr Tees!!!

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 09:58:59 PM »
Here's a Pic of the control panel from the ebay listing.

Oh, and about that Miracle, custom made for the old standard slogan, "If it made a nice print, it's a Miracle!"

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 06:25:30 AM »
Zelko4eva=my friend the Diz

Offline Zelko-4-EVA

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 07:47:46 AM »
ZELKO!

we sold our two Zelkos after they would start indexing by them self - quite literally, and very scary.   imagine loading inks into a screen and suddenly it indexes with no one near the control panel.  those presses were haunted.

Offline Action1

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 08:25:24 AM »
Having said all that - I'm damn excited about getting in our two new Haas machines in the next couple of weeks.

One of my best friends is a Field Service Tech for HAAS.  His customers love him and continue to purchase from HAAS because of his commitment to their success and knowledge about their equipment.  One of his good friends is a tech for Jefferys MFG, is that who you purchased from?

Hello Chubs - yes it's Jeffries. They've been an excellent vendor for many years. When we have needed them, they have responded immediately.