Author Topic: Film output  (Read 2048 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Film output
« on: March 26, 2014, 12:56:24 AM »
Anyone still using the Oyo or Xante to output there films? I remember back in 2000 or 2001 when the epson 3000 and 1450 where being tested to make films and was called the poor man's imagesetter and posjet film was the film that got them rolling (David Crane).  In a forum chat or email might even talk with him on the phone Scott Fresner said it was going to be a fad it would not replace a true imagesetter, well guess who started selling the crap out of the inkjet film.  I was just getting into business back then and bought a 1450 which I thought was a really big deal $360 bucks big money LOL.  I might be way behind as I tend to lag, but you would think epson would have built a printer just for screen print film seps.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Film output
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 03:50:09 AM »
What would you suggest to be different on a printer from Epson that`s just made for seps?

Offline shirtz

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 06:22:54 AM »
We just bought a Epson SC T-3000 24" wide printer for out putting sheets for our transfer Company. I am having problems with the sheets lining up, So I called Epson.
I mentioned that they need to have a industry specific printer for screen printers and was told that they were working on it.
I hope that is the case because working with third party inks and film has not always been a good experience.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 06:24:13 AM »
I'd suggest one that used only one ink cartridge, develop a black ink that included some kind of UV blocking agent, and built-in postscript. Build one that output 13x19 for us poor folks and another model that output larger format film for the high-rollers.
Speaking of ink, was it Fresener who's ink included some magenta to supposedly aid in blocking light? Seems I recall something like that from someone, might of been him.
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline mk162

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 08:53:23 AM »
i used to mix a little bit of magenta into my black to block the light.  worked great.

Epson might be talking about their DTG printer...the person on the phone might have been confused.  I wouldn't see why they would release a film printer when their other printers are already being used for it successfully.  It's a market they already own and that probably wouldn't generate a ton of revenue since screen printers are for the most part cheap.

Now, if HP, Lexmark, or Canon was coming out with one, THEN I could really understand it.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 10:52:01 AM »
So far no one is using the an Oyo or Xante anymore I see...
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Mark @ Hurricane Printing

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 12:43:19 PM »
I have the OYO Liberator GS 618..... (and also an Epson 3000).....currently my Oyo is on the fritz....the film is not feeding...i need to trouble shoot it but do not know much about the Oyo's...i contacted Oyo (now called Exile) reps this morning in email and they gave me some things to try.
Mark

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 08:44:21 AM »
So far no one is using the an Oyo or Xante anymore I see...

Because for what you spend on them, the results are less than what can be had from an epson 1400 out of the box from staples.

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 09:00:57 AM »
Sorry I'm late to this one...
I have a techstyler (14"). It is AWESOME! My films are crisp, dark and consistent. The harlequin rip offers an amazing level of control over the dot pattern, size, shape and frequency. I think my favorite part is the consistency though. If I loose or damage 1 film out of a 6 color job I can run just that 1 and it will line up perfectly the other 5 from 7 years ago.
If you are considering I would look for a used unit. Once you have it up and running you can get on a premium film contract. You will pay more per roll of film but oyo will warranty the machine as long as you use that film. If you want a sample call them. They will run you a sheet.
Feel free to contact me anytime if you have additional questions.
Matt

When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 06:23:23 PM »

I have a techstyler

Premium film contract.. you actually fell for that.

ROFLMFAO!!!

Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline balloonguy

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 09:57:53 PM »

I have a techstyler

Premium film contract.. you actually fell for that.

ROFLMFAO!!!
Laugh all you want. I had some issues and sent it back. It cost me $180.00 to ship to them. They replaced a bunch of parts including a $5k imaging drum. I did not have to pay return shipping. This is by far (including premium film contract) one of the very best business decisions I have made. If you ask me films/screens are the most important part of what we do. Any machine can pull a squeegee.

When you dig grave will you make it shallow so that I can feel the rain?