Author Topic: Newbie Question- Yellow first or blue first?  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
Newbie Question- Yellow first or blue first?
« on: March 23, 2014, 12:38:22 PM »
On the attached image would you print the yellow first and then the blue or vice versa? I am thinking the yellow first. Are my instincts correct?

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Newbie Question- Yellow first or blue first?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 12:50:20 PM »
blue and yellow of that tone are known to not be wet-on-wet friendly, especially with that much spread from the gradients.

I would print the blue and flash it, then hit the yellow. both on high mesh and do your absolute best to get them in perfect registration to avoid mudding.
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 12:58:09 PM »
I think I would do the whole image in yellow - flash - halftone the blue over top...depending on the inks you are using of course, you don't want to make a puke green color.....305

looking again, it's those transitions around the middle of the ball that always give me issues, I always get more gain than I plan on....100% all the way down to-0 is tough unless sep'd properly -for me....
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 01:00:56 PM by Homer »
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 02:36:13 PM »
I would do the blue first, only because there is so little of it actually showing, so I would use it almost as a reverse underbase to imply tones in the yellow.

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 04:24:20 PM »
This just goes to show how different we can be on printing the same thing.

For me, I always prefer a method that shows color transitions/ blends with as little if the dots showing as possible. As such, my approach is similar to the last post above. This is not the "correct method" but just another. There are no real "correct methods" other than the one the customer approved and pats for.

I would print the blue under, and also knock it out of the yellow a little. Maybe by 25% to allow the blue to mix more. Doing this, would then also require me to need up the blue just a tad. Maybe by 10-15%. Since the yellow mixing will take away from the strength of the blue since it's underneath the yellow.

These would print wet on wet. This creates a very soft blend with little to no dots visible.
Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline Prosperi-Tees

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Common Sense - Get Some
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 04:29:47 PM »
Maybe I should add they are going on sports gray shirts, should I underbase the whole thing? This image will give you a better idea of what I am going to print.

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 08:03:07 AM »
One could argue back and forth over flashing and sequence however I would add that we would out put 2 blue screens: high mesh halftone/low mesh vector. Vector screens acting as a crush over the htones.