Author Topic: Turn your dryer on  (Read 3197 times)

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Turn your dryer on
« on: August 10, 2011, 07:21:39 PM »
Biggest mistake I have ever made. Shirts when though the dryer and fell into the box at the end. Was printing about 350 an hour and didn't check the box until about 200 were done. The white Underbase was flashed but the yellow on the underbase was still wet.

Offline JayzTeez

• !!!
  • Manual Screen Printer
Re: Turn your dryer on
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 07:23:02 PM »
that would suck.
Jayz Teez Screen Printing
Houtzdale, PA.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 07:26:24 PM »
I have one like that.
First place I ever worked, running 36 'x 48" signs. Rather than pay overtime one night, boss hired a moonlighter who ran hundreds through with the heat off. Had to use a forklift to remove the solid block of cardboard.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 07:33:06 PM »
I was so tired from working that I took a half hour break. I turned the dryer's heat off. I came back and the dryer was still runing but with the heat off. I had to have them done by 6 so I was rushing to get them done. After printing about 200, I went and scooped up the shirts out of the box and had ink on my hand. I was crushed....when I figured out what I had done.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:35:14 PM by Screened Gear »

Offline stitches4815

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 08:27:47 PM »
Oh man, that sucks.  I have pulled shirts prematurely on multi colored jobs but never did that yet.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 09:12:57 PM »
thats why I bought a temp gun and always check temp ever so many doz, never know when dryer might boop out.
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 09:18:05 PM »
Our ovens have an indicator light that is GREEN when we're withing 5 degrees plus or minus of set temp.

Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline squeegee

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 09:26:09 PM »
Our ovens have an indicator light that is GREEN when we're withing 5 degrees plus or minus of set temp.

Now that's a thoughtful feature.

Offline bimmridder

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 09:52:46 PM »
As long as your people take notice. I won't say what brand the ovens are, but they're kind of blue.
Barth Gimble

Printing  (not well) for 35 years. Strong in licensed sports apparel. Plastisol printer. Located in Cedar Rapids, IA

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 08:10:10 AM »
you can wire a warning light that comes on when the temp is out of range. Go to a party store and get a strobe or rotating (police style) light and hook it up to the  back of the temp controller. They normally have terminals for the alarm light. $5-$10 worth of parts will get you a piece of mind.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 01:35:19 PM »
you can wire a warning light that comes on when the temp is out of range. Go to a party store and get a strobe or rotating (police style) light and hook it up to the  back of the temp controller. They normally have terminals for the alarm light. $5-$10 worth of parts will get you a piece of mind.

pierre

I like the light Idea. I am not sure about a strobe light that could get annoying fast. I guess not as annoying as 200 wet shirts in a catch box.

Offline Socalfmf

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 01:36:33 PM »
I would think that you are wasting money by turning your dryer on and off for only 30min....the cost to get it back to temp is likely greater than just letting it run and maintain temp....

thoughts?

Sam

Online ebscreen

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 01:38:04 PM »
Yep, leave it on.

And folding 200 pieces after the fact? Yikes.
That mistake would pay for a catcher for a week,
not to rub it in or anything.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 07:56:11 PM »
I have a Workhorse 5217. It gets to temp in less than 5 mins. I was not sure I was going to be back that fast. I had to deal with a few other jobs. The best part about this job was it was a grunge font on the back of the shirts. The shirts took an hour and a half to clean the offset ink. I had to run then threw the dryer any ways so to cleaning the light ink offset was not that big of deal.  Hour and a half and Gallon of cleaning fluid is nothing compared to 200 black shirts and having to reprint the front and back. I lucked out. The client even said they looked good. It was an order of over 800.

I was not going to post this story because it makes me look bad, but I had to tell someone that understands how bad this could have been. Thanks forum for being nice. I am looking in to having a helper come in on the larger jobs now.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 08:34:42 PM »

I was not going to post this story because it makes me look bad, but I had to tell someone that understands how bad this could have been. Thanks forum for being nice. I am looking in to having a helper come in on the larger jobs now.

helper   help-er   noun    - someone to have around  to blame when the heating elements on the dryer do not get turned on.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?