Author Topic: Win 8.1  (Read 2288 times)

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Win 8.1
« on: March 27, 2014, 10:08:12 PM »
Pros and Cons on Win 8 started to buy one today to run our invoicing system not using for artwork unless someone tells me better.

Darryl
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
Re: Win 8.1
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 10:23:34 PM »
I'm still on 7, but I understand that 8.1 fixed the gripes folks had with 8.
I believe that it has the option to run it as 7.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 10:48:52 PM »
8.anything SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D Run Win 7 on an new system!
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 11:37:03 PM »
That's what my son said to, 8 sucks don't buy it...guess I'll try and find a win 7

Offline starchild

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 11:51:27 PM »
8 is built on Win 7 platform.. You won't know the difference.. It's like an android op system built to run along side Win 7.. So you only work with Android apps in the metro mode.. Most of us will use desktop mode as usual.. The basic google play apps that come with it is pretty basic so you will have to purchase apps on google play if you want let's say a more functional email client for example

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 01:55:40 AM »
8.1 is strides better than 7 in a number of ways out of the box, minus the UI.  That said, with about 10 minutes and google, you can find a tons of lists that explain in detail how to fix the UI issues so it works basically the same as 7, but with all the benefits of 8. 

Offline sben763

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 09:25:10 AM »
Most don't like the UI. As above states if you google how to make 8 run like 7 you don't know the difference which is what I did.  The UI in 8 is more of a touch screen/tablet interface but I don't like it on the Microsoft surface Pro either.

Filmmaker DTP was giving me an error on my 64 bit 7 machine but no problems on the 32 bit machine. I did the upgrade to 8 on the 64 bit machine and now it works great on the 64 bit machine.  There is also a memory leak fix that can effect graphics programs. I am not sure if there was a patch that fixed this for 7 as I quit doing any updates. 

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 11:42:07 AM »
I use classic shell program on my 8 machine. Not only does it turn your machine to win 7 it can go as far back as XP. There is also tons and tons of other features built in it.
"No man is an island"

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 04:09:16 PM »
Ok we went on and bought the win 8.1 system and I'm as lost as a snowball in July what are you guys talking about the UI? I got to many questions but that's one.

Online Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 04:21:20 PM »
Ok we went on and bought the win 8.1 system and I'm as lost as a snowball in July what are you guys talking about the UI? I got to many questions but that's one.

UI is User Interface, the way it looks and lets you interact.

Here's one of many articles to explain to you how to change that to the more familiar 7.
http://windowsitpro.com/windows-81/top-10-tips-make-windows-81-work-like-windows-7
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2014, 04:41:36 PM »
I use classic shell program on my 8 machine. Not only does it turn your machine to win 7 it can go as far back as XP. There is also tons and tons of other features built in it.

Classic Shell is great. I have had no problems with 8. You do have to fight a little with drivers for your old printers and some programs. After that it has run great.

Offline sben763

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2014, 09:56:16 AM »
Classic she'll is working great here. I tried some other UI changers but classic shell works the best.