Author Topic: 60 min YouTube report on AtlanticCity 2014 ISS by Greaves w/Scott Fresener  (Read 3452 times)

Offline RichardGreaves

• Verified/Junior
  • How are you measuring?
My 60 min report on AtlanticCity2014ISS w/Scott Fresener on YouTube
youtu.be/S9hj6D-v-WM
Angie Jones memories WBase & stencil news lots more

ISS Atlantic City 2014

M&R

Density of LED UV lamps
Speed of combo image then expose iImage >60 seconds
Saw at SGIA'13 Orlando
Auto Stencil development Washout

Ink Kitchen

Rick Roth & secret weapon Pam
Casey Hruby
Pierre Jamnicky
Tom Davenport Motion Graphics not there

Ulano

Platinum dual cure halftone characteristics without diazo
Proclaim-EC
pitcher container coming soon

Triangle

120,000 drops to 116,000

Lancer

500 series
Arctic White

Water Base ink

Jay Busselle at a new place
Andy McDougall working w/Speedball
Matsui WB Jesse Martinez
Permaset WB Joe Hopkins

Union/Rutland
Charlie Leach location unknown
Union to NC
Claude too
Pavonine still a thing

Nazdar
Rob Coleman on fire about WB UK Magnacolor

Permanent Blockout
Greg Marcus
Larsons at ShurLock

Small label printing machines

Saati HC8

Vastex
LED testing Resolution on lines 200 - 400x not as good as Metal Halide

Interviewed by Two Reg Guys

Brian Pocono Sold
Action Engineering dinner w/Erik & crew[/font][/size]
Charlie Taublieb & Angela Jones

Kitson 20 based on W. Edward Deming
Pierre & Mark Da-barrow
Sam & Jill Wil-t
Shane Mackie

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 02:14:06 PM by blue moon »
Screen printing since 1979 - SGIA Academy Member
ex Stretch Devices General Manager ex Lawson Supply Director
ex Screen Printing columnist 1985-1995  ex Printwear Technical Editor 1995-1999
retired Ulano Technical Product Manager
Wyandotte, MI  646-807-8580 rgreaves@gmail.com

Offline GaryG

• !!!
Bravo!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 07:11:28 PM by GaryG »

Offline GKitson

• Just another t-shirt guy
Must watch if you have been in the biz for more than 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greg Kitson
Mind's Eye Graphics Inc.
260-724-2050

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
WOW!
I don't even know where to start. Anybody not watching this is missing out.

Thank you Richard and Scott for taking the time to record and post this.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline dirkdiggler

• Gonzo Member
good stuff!
If he gets up, we'll all get up, IT'LL BE ANARCHY!-John Bender

Offline Dottonedan

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Email me at art@designsbydottone.com
Wow!  That was loaded with good info.  I took notes on the favorite emulsions. ;)

Artist & Sim Process separator, Co owner of The Shirt Board, Past M&R Digital tech installer for I-Image machines. Over 28 yrs in the apparel industry. Apparel sales, http://www.designsbydottone.com  e-mail art@designsbydottone.com 615-821-7850

Offline tonypep

• Ludicrous Speed Member
Leave it to Richard for sending me back in time. Charlie Leach was indeed quite a pioneer but he grew weary of our side of the industry. Keep in mind we were (at the time) small potatoes. Rotary printers purchased; as they continue to do so, WB products in drums with pigments in five gallon containers. Since rotary printing is a high speed enclosed process, the drying in the screen issue was not an issue the chemistry was troublesome for the lowly t-shirt folks. Companies like Pavonine (with a whopping 24 or so pigment offerings), Spectrochem, Manoukian, and others tried diligently to reinvent themselves to cater to our market but for the most part failed. The huge rotary factories employed professional colorists to develop color recipies. No PMS software so the colorists were well paid. So we had problems with the ink performing well without special attention and were left on our own with regards to making colors.
Meanwhile, back at Precision Screen Machines in a clandestine operation located off site, we were mixing up drums and fives; using voodoo chemistry to concoct WB/DC potions used on our belt printers and ovals, as well as a top secret textile spraying department.. I helped formulate color and the recipies were kept in a notecard file. Back then we had literally no outside help. I was in my early twenties and bold enough to try stuff out and see what happened  .BTW many do not know that the first puff products were WB. Plastisol versions surfaced later.
Two decades past and little had changed. Many wanted to embrace WB technology however (largely due to lack of application knowledge from distributors) they often ran away screaming. Those of us who had  quietly figured out the nuances and developed solutions generally kept a low profile. This frustrated many "experts". Theories with regards to mesh tension, off contact, shear characterstics, flashing, art prep, etc were vastly different. Distributors often advised customers to print WB with mesh no higher than 110 tpi due to fear of the ink locking up in the screen and receiving backlash from the printers. How times have changed.
BTW Richard, if you're reading this, Angie was last known to be working at New Buffalo (now Gildan) in the Honduras facility.
Take care Buddy

Offline GraphicDisorder

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Bottom Feeder
In for checking this out later.
Brandt | Graphic Disorder | www.GraphicDisorder.com
@GraphicDisorder - Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | Youtube

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
I wish there were more videos just like this.
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline 3Deep

• !!!
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Agree, I saw a little just haven't had the time to see it all the way thru
Life is like Kool-Aid, gotta add sugar/hardwork to make it sweet!!

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
I need to find time to watch, maybe tonight on the iPad... Tony's mentioned puff being WB, that was the first stuff we used too, got it from a curtain manufacturer, it's how they did brocade. Our first puff job was in braille, it said "If you can read this, you're too damn close". I remember it went down thin, and puffed great...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline RichardGreaves

• Verified/Junior
  • How are you measuring?
My first puff that worked was Sericol water-based in 1980, before they hard good distribution in the USA. Friends of mine from Aruba ordered it, then reshipped it to the USA. There was some sort of embargo on direct from UK shipments.

Terry Kaiserman and I were walking the Paint Show in Philadelphia, in ?1985? when we stumbled on Pierce & Stevens of Buffalo promoting their expanding microspheres.

Terry guided me through my W-B learning curve in 1982, but I stopped making puff when J & S INK COMPANY started selling it.

Offline Screened Gear

• Gonzo Member
Richard your old.  ;D ;D ;D

Its nice to hear some of the old stories about the industry. I have only been practicing screen printing since 2008. I am still learning. Thanks for the info.

Offline RichardGreaves

• Verified/Junior
  • How are you measuring?
You're telling me!

Offline RichardGreaves

• Verified/Junior
  • How are you measuring?
SPBizGroup meeting in Nashville Thursday May 8, 2014
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2014, 01:56:28 PM »
Impressions WEB posted an announcement about the business study group I called "Greg Kitson's Group of Twenty", now with a proper name "SPBizGroup", and their web site: SPBizGroup.com

http://impressions.issshows.com/screen-printing-news/Screen-Print-Busines-7600.shtml

The first SPBizGroup official member meeting is happening on Thursday, May 8, 2014, the first day of the Nashville Imprinted Sportswear Show, but 8 miles away at the Holiday Inn Express Nashville Airport.

The group is looking for like-minded decorated apparel industry professionals who share not only passion for the industry, but also the need to improve. If you are interested in joining this group or have any questions, please contact:

SPBizGroup.com
Mark Dabiero (Flying Colors Imprinting Inc., Westland, Mich.) — mjd@spbizgroup.com
Pierre Jamnicky (Blue Moon Promotional Inc., Eastlake, Ohio)  — pjj@spbizgroup.com
Greg Kitson (Mind’s Eye Graphics Inc., Decatur, Ind.) — greg@spbizgroup.com