Author Topic: Screen Printing classes useful?  (Read 3345 times)

Offline hoogie

• feel free to email hoogies@bnin.net
Re: Screen Printing classes useful?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 07:19:32 AM »
close to 20 yrs doing this, from wood frames and an old tub for a washout booth to just getting my 2nd auto delivered here in a few weeks to amp up production...I've never stopped learning, to this day i always look at the classes that are at the shows, if i see something that i'd like to brush up on i sign up. starter classes are just that for starting up...i'd say take em. anything that can help you improve your prints or output cant hurt. Not to mention you can an will make a few friends at those things that you can maybe call when your in a pinch and they'll help you out. Like others said..these forums are for me the best..i'm always lurking hardley ever post anymore, but i'm always reading what others have to say even on tips and tricks...The people that are die hards like Frog and a few others...dont be afraid to pick there minds...theres so much there ask questions dont be afraid....avoid the short cuts they might work for the bullet proof prints but in the end they will cost you...once you have the basics down, then you can tweek the process to fit your style and your shops. In this area, printing you can never stop learning theres always something out there...just my two cents worth
Hoogie...

Offline alan802

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • I like to screen print
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 10:16:55 AM »
I try to teach the basics and how they affect the next step in the process and the ink deposit.  I won't go into a ton of detail on which blade or perfect mesh count to use for every application and I try to keep it simple and easy to understand, like soft blades deposit more ink, bigger percentage mesh openings mean less pressure needed to shear ink, steeper angle equals less ink deposit than flat angle, low tension bad, proper tension good, etc.  I know that a supplier that relies on selling statics is not going to give the negatives to low tension printing and they also won't be talking about any other mesh counts other than what they sell.  And everyone knows my thoughts on the mesh counts that most suppliers sell so I won't whip everyone's butt on that rant. 
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it -T.J.
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it -T.P.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 11:56:22 AM »
for what it's worth, I still take a ton of classes and always learn something even if I don't necessarily agree with the instructor. At $300 it should be worth the money. My only concern is about the instructors. Are they going to teach you the proper way or what they've been doing or somebody else told them to teach. There is only a very small group of experts in this industry, and it would serve you well to get the correct info from the first day.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!