Author Topic: is it possible to have Illustrator auto create file header data on film output?  (Read 1532 times)

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
We use a standard template for illustrator that has our registration marks and preregistration template guides as well as art locations for center line, top of print, bottom of print, etc all pre defined.

I'd like to have a 'banner' on the top that provides some of the same info as illustrator generates when clicking the 'page information' marks.

(ie, ink colors from the separations, date of print, the full complete file name, including the directory and location on the system, ideally pulling the rip info too??? not sure if I can do that or not, but it would be really nice)

Anybody using something like that, that they'd be willing to share?

Thanks!

Offline kirkage

• Verified/Junior
When you output separations to a postscript device there are options under marks and bleeds that might yield something you are looking for. I have never tried it but you could test on paper if you have a laser printer. You have to change the mode from composite to separations to see options

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
the 'page info' on the marks and bleeds works, but I want it a LOT more detailed than what's coming out right now, and want to be able to customize the info too (font size, target screen counts potentially, etc)

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
try making your own text layout, leaving blanks where necessary for custom info, like ink colors. Make this text Registration color, so it prints on each film. If you're printing a simple 2 color, say 185 red and 300 blue, you can type 300 blue into the blank left for this purpose, and color it with the 300 blue from the swatch pallet; same with the red. Now, when the films print out, the standard text will print out and the custom color will print on it too. Note: when stacking ink colors ie. 185 red and 300 blue, mark them to "Overprint" in the Attributes pallet, so they don't knock out of each other.

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline jvanick

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
yup ... that's what we're doing today...

I am looking for something to auto fill in a lot of that info...  guessing there's a script or something that can automagically do all that somewhere

Offline mimosatexas

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
  • contributor
adobe has pretty robust scripting support.  I can almost guarantee there is one out there specifically for this purpose.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
if not, I can get you in touch with somebody that can write it for you. 'not sure what it would cost, but my guess is somewhere in the $100-$200 range.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!