Author Topic: CorelDRAW on a Mac  (Read 2498 times)

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
CorelDRAW on a Mac
« on: May 20, 2014, 03:35:21 PM »
Hi everyone! Gotta question for you.

A situation has presented itself to me where I'll be needing to use CorelDRAW, but I have a Mac.

Does anyone here have any experience using Bootcamp or Parallels one of the other Windows simulators on a Mac? Bonus points if you're running DRAW.

I will have a PC made available to me, but I really don't have the room for it and I'd rather still be able to use my tablet/monitor setup.

Thanks!
Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com
 Custom art not in the budget? Check out Bad Bonz Designs

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: CorelDRAW on a Mac
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 03:50:38 PM »
I run Corel on Mac using VM Fusion, works almost flawlessly, in fact windows runs better on a MAC machine than most PCs. There is a few odd things you have to deal with tho such as common short cut keys do not always work on VM, but other than that works great.
"No man is an island"

Offline ZooCity

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 06:04:37 PM »
+1 for fusion, it can actually work too damn seamlessly, I had a version with a "unity" mode where you can run both osx and windows at once, osx dock at bottom, windows bar at side or whatever config you like. XP screams on a vm running on a mac. 

Offline shirtz

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 07:58:54 PM »
Same here running vm fusion on a iMac as well as a new macbook pro. Windows XP on the iMac , windows 7 on the laptop.
The macs seem to me to be more stable.

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 08:22:35 PM »

Thanks for the replies! I'll check out VM Fusion... I was thinking Bootcamp was the way to go, but I see there may be a better option!

Design, Illustration and Color Separation for the Imprinted Apparel Industry for over 20 years. SeibelStudio.com

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 06:40:44 PM »
OK you helpful cats, a strictly professional question:

How big are your partitions?

Offline tancehughes

• !!!
  • Always learning new things!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 07:10:55 PM »
Yep we use it with parallels and it's not too bad. But we've moved to using mostly adobe products for our art dept. now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 07:54:19 AM »
My Mac does not have partitions, windows on VM runs as a program not a separate boot OS.
"No man is an island"

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 12:34:51 PM »
OK Inkman, thanks... so you're running VM without Bootcamp.

This is all so very interesting. Thanks all for your help!

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 12:38:31 PM »
OK Inkman, thanks... so you're running VM without Bootcamp.

This is all so very interesting. Thanks all for your help!

Yep VM is software you install on the MAC then you install any type of OS on the VM, when running its just another program on your system. You can drag drop files between the OS's and share folders etc. Sharing printers gets a bit tricky but once you figure it out its easy to do. Oh and one thing is get lots of RAM for the Mac, VM with windows running eats up a couple gigs by itself so beef up the RAM.
"No man is an island"

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 02:00:40 PM »
Thanks, yes my Mac's RAM is maxed out and I don't think I'll be doing my printing from Windows, but the drag and drop ability is exactly what I'm looking for because I'm going to be re-creating Draw versions of Illustrator files.

Offline Sbrem

• Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 03:06:27 PM »
Is that for customers who don't have Illustrator and don't want to have Illustrator? I'll bet that would start to get expensive for them, since you are no $5.00 per design type of guy...

Steve
I made a mistake once; I thought I was wrong about something; I wasn't

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 05:31:09 PM »
Is that for customers who don't have Illustrator and don't want to have Illustrator? I'll bet that would start to get expensive for them, since you are no $5.00 per design type of guy...

Steve

Haha, no... it's for an onging freelance gig. I'll be designing templates to be sold in AI and CDR formats.

Offline Command-Z

• !!!
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 07:41:15 PM »

Plus I want to get back into Corel at least for some things... Adobe has been pissing me off lately.

What versions Windoze and Draw are we talking about folks? Anyone running X7?

Offline inkman996

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 07:50:43 AM »
Running windows X7 64bit and Draw X5.
"No man is an island"