Author Topic: Some general art help!  (Read 3048 times)

Offline Printhouse

Some general art help!
« on: August 12, 2011, 03:35:30 PM »
OK...  I have made a good run at printing pretty much simple spot color designs for the past year.  Today I had a customer contact me with a design that includes some simple fades.  The file was sent to me as a jpeg and a eps.  This design is going on black shirts and  figured it would basically be a white underbase and then a simple one color print with the lime green.  In the artwork the lime green is a pantone solid color but all the shading is cmyk.  I usually use corel to output my color seps to my epson 1400 via Accurip.  I cannot figure out the best way to get this entire design to print out at once to allow for it to be printed with just the lime green.  I can make this happen if I am the one doing the initial design and just use a gradient fill fading from my pantone to another color.  Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
Re: Some general art help!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 04:40:03 PM »
I would do a white base 160 mesh -or 230 depending on the garments, solid lime green print -flash- and a 3rd screen for the darker green (or is it black?)  in all the shaded areas like the top of the bars and bottom of the tire. making it a 3 color.
...keep doing what you're doing, you'll only get what you've got...

Offline Printhouse

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 04:42:35 PM »
They said that it was the black of the tee showing through.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 04:46:21 PM »
in that case, a 230 mesh, opaque lime green and p/f/p. no base needed.

Offline Artelf2xs

•  Celebrating 29 years in the industry
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 08:08:33 PM »
I don't know Corel, But in Illustrator you would just replace the CMYk areas with a spot pantone color to get the films you need. this would be in the gradients pallet.
You could just print the Yellow of the CMYK  for the green and maybe the Blue would make a nice choked back white plate....!
Lif'e too short to complain about stuff ( Like typos)

Offline Chadwick

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 12:00:05 AM »
Simple answer, you weren't asking about mesh, you were asking how to output it from the Corel file.
And there's a couple proper answers for this, but they depend on the file being created properly in the first place,
or, you going in and fixing things.

If you know bitmaps, get it to scale, and make the seps out of greyscale bitmaps.

If you absolutely need vector and it's fubar, make a bitmap out of it ( high res, no aliasing ) , but posterize it hardcore ( limit colors )
Then trace and color as you will. Corny, but it works to a degree.

Offline Denis Kolar

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 11:37:05 AM »
Streeter, did the file work?

Elf, the problem with gradients was that whoever did the design, expanded the gradient and the file had million small pieces instead of few gradients.

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 12:21:22 PM »
ah poop, your right -  i wasn't paying attention again.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 12:42:42 PM »
ah poop, your right -  i wasn't paying attention again.

Homer, forgetting that your answer being a little off from what was asked, can you really get a successful in-your-face lime green on black with a simple p-f-p through a 230?
I know that with a true glow or neon I would have real trouble.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Artelf2xs

•  Celebrating 29 years in the industry
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 12:49:21 PM »
Been there before, deleting a bazillion rectangles..... I'd definitely just print the Yellow from CMYK and use it, maybe for both white and green, maybe put some acetate  n the screen to choke it for the white.....

Get er done!
Lif'e too short to complain about stuff ( Like typos)

Offline Homer

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 12:59:04 PM »
yes I have before -I  used an ink from One Stroke,  I forget the series, versamax or colormax maybe?  it had really fine details I couldn't hold with a base. . it wasn't as bright as we are seeing on screen here - but it was bright lime green. laying the ink on top of the shirt was key, too much pressure dulled the print way down.

Offline Frog

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
  • Docendo discimus
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 01:12:18 PM »
This is just one of those colors which which I have a little trouble, sometimes two different problems. One is how some folks use the names, Lime Green and Fluorescent Green almost interchangeably, and the other is actual coverage, especially with the inherent opacity problems of true fluorescent inks.

I don't know which color Printhouse and Too Bad are really looking for.
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?

Offline Printhouse

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 03:46:49 PM »
I hear ya frog!  I have about 5 versions of this color in the shop.  They reange from a very opaque rutland to a very thin ICC.  Each very on the actual color very little.  I was hoping that once I got the actual art figured out and on screen I would run a few samples for them to choose from.  Dan and Dennis have both been a HUGE help and I think I have it nailed down.  I am working a 24 hour shift today then I wil try and burn the test screen in the morning and see how it goes.

Offline Lizard

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 06:19:42 PM »
Best way to print this is with a halftone base of the fade then a solid print of the lime green,  Blending will be perfect.  Mow as for a s printing halftones with Corel through your epson you will need a rip of some sort.  If this is the real question then let us know.
Toby
 Shirt Lizard Charlotte, NC 704-521-5225

Offline screenxpress

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 06:27:06 PM »
Printhouse, I'd like to see the file(s).  I had a idea (probably stupid) and would like to see if it would work.

Wayne -
screenxpress@yahoo.com
Anything important is never left to the vote of the people. We only get to vote on some man; we never get to vote on what he is to do.  Will Rogers