Author Topic: Aquasol HV  (Read 1678 times)

Offline siestasol

• Verified/Junior
Aquasol HV
« on: April 26, 2014, 01:08:16 PM »
Hi there,
We just buy an used MSP 3140, any suggestions for time exposure before we run a exposure test.
Aquasol HV w/diazo. 2+1 round coating. Plastisol and waterbase discharge.
Thanks in advance.

Offline tpitman

• Gonzo Member
Re: Aquasol HV
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 08:42:30 AM »
Doesn't that unit expose by light units instead of time?
Work is the curse of the drinking class . . .

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 09:37:02 AM »
HV with 3140. 2+1 coating dull edge,  about 3 seconds per coat. NO Diazo!!!
We are at approx 1.5 min for 305 mesh and about a min more for the 110.

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline jsheridan

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 01:23:53 PM »
any suggestions for time exposure before we run a exposure test.

Autotype Exposure Calculator

That unit runs in light units and depending on the age of the bulb, calibration of the light integrator and your input line voltage settings asking us what we use is about the same as asking Tonto to head into town to get the supplies for the week.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 01:26:14 PM by jsheridan »
Blacktop Graphics Screenprinting and Consulting Services

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 12:23:39 PM »
I think Pierre has it right and meant 30 seconds per coat to get to 1.5 minutes.
The key is your film type.

For that reason I recommend a step test using your film.  My calculators are a solid 3.5 dmax, so the time I get with good black film may be too much for a more transparent ink jet or vellum.

Here is the link:  http://murakamiscreen.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Step-Test-Instructions.pdf

Set your integrator up in the beginning to 1 second = 1 light unit. (this helps evaluate the bulb strength, see below)
Run the step test described above to determine best exposures.  Use light units for this, more accurate.
When 2-3 months have gone by, use a stopwatch and time 60 light units.  If you are getting 90 seconds or more instead of 60 seconds the bulb has aged.  3140 bulbs need changing more often than a Tri Light at 6,000 watts.  Always keep a spare bulb made by Nuarc/M&R.  If you see discharge screens failing and the screens used to print discharge fine, swap out the bulbs.  This is my most common tech call, older bulbs that have lost their UV punch.

If you are seeing that with a 1:2 coat you are losing halftones back off to 1:1 dull edge coating or 1:2 sharp edge.  Coaters vary a lot in the amount of emulsion they lay down.  I have one company here in Socal that coats once on the print side, thats it.  Sometimes a thinner coating can achieve a stronger screen since it gets exposed completely.  I prefer 1:1 or 1:2 myself, but these guys are running 20k runs!
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 12:33:23 PM »
I think Pierre has it right and meant 30 seconds per coat to get to 1.5 minutes.

I meant it takes 3 seconds to do each coat (the time it takes to actually pull the scoop coater from the bottom to the top of the frame). We coat rather slow and thus have a slightly higher EOM. For somebody coating faster the time would be shorter.

Alan,
what's the impact of the Diazo on the exposure times (when added to HV/HVP)?

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline ABuffington

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 01:12:52 PM »
Oh thanks, sorry for the misunderstanding on the 3 secs.
Adding diazo increases exposure times by 25% depending on exposure unit.

Al
Alan Buffington
Murakami Screen USA  - Technical Support and Sales
www.murakamiscreen.com