Author Topic: Jumped on Starlight bandwagon.  (Read 9920 times)

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
Re: Jumped on Starlight bandwagon.
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2014, 11:01:41 AM »
yes, it is significantly faster. The Vastex unit was exposing screens at 13 seconds compared to 1.5-3 minutes. Starlight has many more LEDs and is even faster (3-5 seconds is my understanding). Starlight is a little more money, but it does have more LEDs and it also has preview lighting (there might be more).

I was told what was being changed, but have not confirmed anything and not really sure what they would want me to say so I'll keep the info to myself for now, sorry. You should be able to get those answers from Vastex as I can't see a reason why they would not give you (or anybody else) those answers. My understanding is that few tweaks were done based on the customer (us included) feedback. This does nto make the older units obsolete, just the new units even better. For example, Mark mentioned using a bigger vacuum pump for faster draw down. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2014, 11:12:20 AM »
I have no real solid knowledge about LED units, I have talked with the creator/manufacturer of the Light Speed brand LED unit for probably 4-5 years now. He said his biggest hurdle was finding the proper LEDs that would hit the right spectrum.

I have always wondered why we don't hear about DIY LED units, DIY LED conversions or DIY DTS. Seems like every other thing in this industry has some sort of DIY version. I kinda figured by now we would of heard about something.

I fully believe that a good amount of times one is better off buying a commercial unit. Time saved, pitfalls avoided, not re inventing the wheel, ect. it all ads up. But like Alan, I think these LED units are way overpriced currently. They will probably stay that way for a few years till there are viable less expensive options that can produce good results. Then all the prices will fall.... Similar to back in the day a 100' roll of ink jet film was like $110, now what is it like $50?

Vastex has a retrofit kit, not sure if it's for their units only though. I know Lou (the guy who designed and makes the Vastex LED strips) has mentioned an LED kit, but again, not sure if this was for me or public in general. It would not be too hard to get the info from Vastex and even potentially have them work with Lou for the custom solution.

As far as building your own, unless you have some pretty solid engineering skills I would very strongly recommend against it. getting the right distance between the LEDs and then getting the right distance from the glass is very tricky. The light emitted by the LEDs is cone shaped and if not set up properly will create significant undercutting or hot spots. We covered all this before in a different thread. . .

pierre
Yes, we've won our share of awards, and yes, I've tested stuff and read the scientific papers, but ultimately take everything I say with more than just a grain of salt! So if you are looking for trouble, just do as I say or even better, do something I said years ago!

Offline Rockers

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2014, 06:31:04 AM »
yes, it is significantly faster. The Vastex unit was exposing screens at 13 seconds compared to 1.5-3 minutes. Starlight has many more LEDs and is even faster (3-5 seconds is my understanding). Starlight is a little more money, but it does have more LEDs and it also has preview lighting (there might be more).

I was told what was being changed, but have not confirmed anything and not really sure what they would want me to say so I'll keep the info to myself for now, sorry. You should be able to get those answers from Vastex as I can't see a reason why they would not give you (or anybody else) those answers. My understanding is that few tweaks were done based on the customer (us included) feedback. This does nto make the older units obsolete, just the new units even better. For example, Mark mentioned using a bigger vacuum pump for faster draw down. . .

pierre
Last question, which of those Vastex units did you try. They seem to have a few different ones, at least in size.

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2014, 06:51:21 AM »

pierre
Last question, which of those Vastex units did you try. They seem to have a few different ones, at least in size.

the middle size one. It shoots one 23x31 at a time.

pierre

Offline Grand

• Verified/Junior
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2014, 07:53:34 PM »
So you have to get the larger one to use tri lock? Also how many weeks out is it to get one shipped out?

Offline blue moon

• Administrator
  • Ludicrous Speed Member
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2014, 08:00:36 PM »
So you have to get the larger one to use tri lock? Also how many weeks out is it to get one shipped out?

not sure about either Vastex or M&R unit. I am sure they both make versions that accept a Tri-Lock, but since we don't use it, I have no idea how big they are or what it takes to install one. Reach out to the manufacturers, they can give you all the info. Sorry I could not be of more help. . .

pierre

Offline 244

• Gonzo Member
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2014, 08:37:14 PM »

not sure about either Vastex or M&R unit. I am sure they both make versions that accept a Tri-Lock, but since we don't use it, I have no idea how big they are or what it takes to install one. Reach out to the manufacturers, they can give you all the info. Sorry I could not be of more help. . .

pierre
our Starlight 3140 will fit the Triloc the same as our MSP3140. Delivery is 4 weeks
Rich Hoffman

Offline TCT

• !!!
  • Gonzo Member
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2014, 09:17:13 AM »
Anyone(Rich I imagine you would know this ;D ) have a "list" price on a Starlight unit that would handle 25"x36" frames? I have looked at damn near EVERY company website that that sells M&R and maybe only 4 of them even have the Starlight listed.  >:(  That is not a hit on M&R, I just am kind of a snob when it comes to websites....Even though our company site leaves A LOT to be desired! ;D
Alex

Hopefully I'll never have to grow up and get a real job...

www.twincitytees.com